African Trip

Dec 29th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Jim

African Trip

We are going to be in Cape Town March 28 to April 2 and then on to Rovos Rail from Pretoria to Victoria Falls (2 days). Victoria Falls (2 nights). We will be in Songwe Village for 2 nights then onto Savute Safari (3 nights) and finally to Abu Elephant Back Safaris (4 nights). Any comments ideas or suggestions. Would like to know what type of clothing to bring given the time of year on safari. I appreciated the great responses the group as given on other subjects

Jan 5th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Karen

March and April are a bit like fall in the Northern hemisphere - usually warm days and chilly nights so a sweater is a must for evenings. You might even find you need a light jacket on the safaris as they use open 4 x 4s and the wind from driving can be chilly. Also jeans or slacks and sneakers for safaris - no shocking colours - and long sleeves to protect your arms from thorn bushes and any insects that may be still buzzing around.

None of the places I see on your list require formal wear but you may like to have something a little dressy for dinners out etc. Are you going to the Zambia side or the Zimbabwe side to see the falls? If it's the Zambia side you should carry a bit of US cash as that is the currency they accept and expect from tourists. It costs $10.00 US to go through the gates to the Zimbabwe side but I am told well worth it. Also re US money, if you are flying in or out of Zambia, their airport tax must be paid in US cash or you won't be allowed to board your plane.

Your itinerary sounds pretty full as it is. Be sure to bring a camera and have a grand time.

Karen

Search this Thread