Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   African tour sugestion (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/african-tour-sugestion-988224/)

bruno_telstar Aug 11th, 2013 01:41 PM

African tour sugestion

Hi everybody.
I’m going to Nairobi, Kenya, in September with my wife. She’s going for business and I’m taking the opportunity to have some vacations.
We’re going together to a Safari in Masai Mara for three days. After this, she’ll be working, and I have nine days to do whatever I want. I was thinking about going to South Africa, but I know there are other amazing places such as Zanzibar.
What would you guys suggest me for these 9 days? Zanzibar, Johannesburg or Cape Town?
Thanks in advance.
Bruno.

cary999 Aug 11th, 2013 09:38 PM

South Africa. Safari.
Kruger National Park and safari camp MalaMala next to Kruger.

regards - tom

BBTGOG Aug 11th, 2013 11:13 PM

In addition to the Masai Mara, there are some other wildlife areas in Kenya and Tanzania that you might consider.

mojojojotang Aug 12th, 2013 05:21 AM

Spend 3 days in Serengeti National Park in Tanzania for 3 days and experience the wildebeest migration. Make sure you tell the tour company you want to see the wildebeest migration. Most of what you will see in South African national parks can be seen in Tanzania and Kenya, so there is no need to fly to South Africa unless you want to visit cities such as Johannesburg and Cape Town. Also take a day trip to lake Bogoria for flamingoes, millions of them.

sandi Aug 12th, 2013 05:26 PM

Why travel to South Africa which from Nairobi has strange flight schedules, rather costly, 4/hrs flying time, plus 2.5/hr checkin/security all flights. Even if heading to Tanzania, another Visa and for TNZ and SA, a Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same for entry. Stay in Kenya, plenty of other areas and the coast here has the same palm trees, sandy beaches and warm blue Indian Ocean.

TracksBerg2013 Aug 16th, 2013 10:06 AM

Suggested Programme - 1 night in Lake Nakuru (Bird watchers paradise), 2 nights in Amboseli NP (Attractions -Savanna elephants and Mt Kilimanjaro)- then off to Zanzibar for 6 Nights (Activities include, botanical & jozani forest tour, prison island tour, stone town tour, spice tour and sunset dhow cruises.

sandi Aug 16th, 2013 10:37 AM

TracksBerg2013 - 6/nts in Zanzibar, incurring another Visa and need for YF inoc. Just as easy for OP to stay in Kenya.

Besides Lake Nakuru, you can stop at Lake Naivasha (1/hr south of Nakuru), hike thru Hell's Gate, enjoy a boat ride to Crescent Isl. for walking safari amongst tame game, then head out to the Kenyan coast, either north or southern coasts... not as crazy as the Mombasa area.

If not Nakuru/Naivasha... maybe up to Ol Pejeta, a private very large conservancy with diverse game... stay at Ol Pejeta Bush Camp which is small/intimate, night game drives and bush walks.

Neither of these two areas are that great a distance from Nairobi - between 2, 2.5 or 3/hrs; Amboseli though if driving is at least 4/hrs each way, though flight to/from is barely 50/min.

TracksBerg2013 Aug 16th, 2013 01:54 PM

Sandi- You are absolutely right,the option to stay in Kenya is much easier. Despite the cost of incurring another Visa, a visit to the Island of Zanzibar would be memorable as it is quite unique with a rich history.

I however would like to echo Sandi recommendation of Ol Pejeta conservancy and the South Coast of Kenya.

One thing that makes Kenya stand out is the Diversity,You could climb a mountain, lie on a pristinely white beach, enjoy the lively activity of the cities and towns, spot game amongst the plains & savannah, and learn about the many cultures and their way of life.

Kenya really is like Africa all in one, with endless possibilities within her borders