Reload this Page >

Anastasia - I'm Getting Info for You re: Vic Falls via Lusaka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:49 AM
sandi

Anastasia - I don't know why I didn't think of this sooner. But I sent an email to friend who knows the route between Lusaka and Livingston quite well. Asked about car rental/cost; cost of petrol; quality of the roads & signage; need for VISA, cost, and if obtainable at airport; hotel in either Livingston or Lusaka, etc.

As soon as I get a reply (he's out of the country on some remote island)-will get back to you.

Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandi,
Thanks for asking your other contacts for advice. I'll look forward to hearing from you after your friend responds (he sounds like an adventurous traveler!). FYI, the flight segment from VFA to JNB must be very popular; all the economy seats (not only the award seats) on BA and SAA are taken for the day I wish to travel.

Have a good weekend if I don't hear from you today!

Cheers,
Anastasia
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 11:58 AM
sandi

As soon as I hear, you'll hear.

Re the JNB to VFA roue, both BA and SAA each only have a morning flite and regular 737 equipment. Also right now some seats might still be held by tour operators and possibly open up closer to travel dates.

Regardless, let's see what my friend has to say and then go from there.

Good weekend to you too!

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 11:17 AM
sandi

Hi Anastasia - Just got a response after three days - seems the young kids on this island found the one Internet place on the island and are on the chat lines constantly, so he had to "wait his turn".

The news isn't too good. His response "forgetaboutit" (a little Sopranos thrown in).

Whenever he's thought to rent a car in Lusaka, the offer it only with a driver. But most importantly, you don't have a super-hiway between Lusaka and Livingston. So assuming the distance from Lusaka to VFA is 300 miles and assume you can keep a steady pace at 55mph (doubt it with the big trucks on the road) it would take over 5-hrs. He, however, estimates it would take 8-hrs. So you wouldn't arrive till dark.

Can't see the Falls at that time; then you'd need some sleep and be on the road in the middle of the night back to Lusaka for your return flight.

Unfortunately, he didn't give me VISA info, but I know one is required and there is a departure tax leaving Lusaka (about USD$20).

I understand your feeling of "being so close, but you can't get there from here." So unless you can add another day to your trip which would allow for the drive both ways, hotel sleep time and Falls tour (USD$10 or $20), my suggestion is:

- to "waitlist" yourselves on BA for FF and BA & SAA for "paid" seats (USD$350+ incl.tx) and see what might open prior departure of your trip and once you're actually in SA.

- that's for 1-outbound flite (JNB/VFA) and 3-return flites (VFA/JNB).

Sorry not to have better news. But I know you will enjoy the rest of your time in SA.

Old Sep 20th, 2003, 11:22 AM
sandi

Correction:

- that's 1-outbound flite times (BA or SAA) JNB/VFA and 3-return flite times (BA or SAA) VFA/JNB - you know what I'm trying to say here.

Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:48 PM

Sandi,
Thanks for the info. Looks like Lusaka is out of the question. Are there any other nearby countries (Botswana? Namibia?) you think might be feasible to visit in a day? I'm happy staying in South Africa, but my friend has been there already and is eager to explore a another country, even if it's for a day. (We're both energetic, don't need much sleep, and are willing to deal with crazy travel schedules.)

Thanks again,
Anastasia
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 01:57 PM
sandi

Anastasia -

Sorry to disappoint re Lusaka; but what brings you to SA and where will you be visiting during your time there? And where has your friend been that there isn't more of SA to visit/see? For 24-hrs it's not like there is "shuttle service on-the hour" to another country.

Old Sep 24th, 2003, 04:22 PM
sandi

Anastasia -

Got a quick email from friend who suggested if you have 2-3 days you might want to consider flying over to Maputo, Mozambique (vs VFA).

It used to be a hot vacation spot for folks from SA and is making a comeback. Good flight prices from JNB, packages include hotel. The Polana which is #1 or the Cardoso #2 rated in that area overlooking Maputo Bay. He says the area is similar to Havana (tired but on the mend).

Outstanding seafood; easier to get to, cheaper and more exotic than VFA. Check it out if you're interested.

Old Oct 6th, 2003, 09:03 AM

Sandi,
Thanks for all your suggestions. I decided in the end to spend more time in Cape Town instead of trying to squeeze in another country. South Africa has so much to offer that it's better not to rush the trip.

Regarding your question about the purpose of this trip, we're doing an international business school project to help a non-profit organization develop a business plan to provide AIDS treatment in SA. As part of this trip, we're visiting J'Burg, Durban, and Cape Town. The first two are mainly for meetings related to the project, and then Cape Town is mainly for pleasure.

Cheers,
Anastasia
Old Oct 6th, 2003, 01:06 PM
sandi

Anastasia -

Glad you decided to spend more time in SA. So much better than trying to "fit too much to do, into too little time" Capetown is a beautiful city and you will enjoy your time there.

And the AIDS project that you will be involved with is definitely needed and will, I'm certain, be much appreciated.

If there is any other information you need, we're here to help. Enjoy your trip.