african safari club (Kenya)

Oct 25th, 2002, 08:22 PM
thewanderingwakefields

african safari club (Kenya)

We are booked here for a week at Christmas...anyone been? Any feedback...thanks..

Oct 26th, 2002, 05:43 AM
ttt

"One night at Mt. Kenya Safari Club. I would personally skip this stop knowing what I know now. Its an old 1950s men's hunting lodge - very clubby. The place was all but empty when we were there - maybe 25 people in all. We didn't see any animals except for the peacocks and the Mt. Kenya blue monkeys that pilfer in the trash bins. I would have much preferred to stay an extra day at any of the camps rather than (my opinion) waste a day here. The food is lavish looking, but not great tasting. The gift shop and art gallery are very expensive as are drinks. The heated swimming pool was frigid. The drive from the airstrip, over horrid roads, was long and hot. The bungalows we stayed in were pretty with large stone fireplaces, seating area, seating on porches, huge 2-3 person jacuzzi tubs and feather beds. However, they have no view even though described as being "down by the river". The 50's feather beds were saggy like a hammock. We called and ask the front desk for a bedboard and to have the mattress turned and fluffed. This helped a lot. It is very romantic to return to your cabin after dinner to find a roaring fire in your fireplace. The best part of this trip was visiting the spinners and weavers project in the nearby town and crossing the equator (you'll get a little water spin demo and then be offered a certificate to purchase to prove you crossed). Mt. Kenya Club is a beautiful country club - but that just wasn't what I came to Africa to see."

Oct 26th, 2002, 06:16 AM
charlene

thanks...but I was referring to a resort complex beach holiday - in particular the Shanzu Holiday Resort. They do have several tours operating from there, and we will take advantage of it then!

Search this Thread