African Queen Nile Cruise

Old Dec 27th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
African Queen Nile Cruise

We are planning a trip to Egypt in Feb 2005. Has anyone been on the Afircan Queen Nile Cruise Ship? We are considering a 3 day cruise from Aswan to Luxor. Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:37 PM
gac1yahoo

I am shopping for the cruise during the same timeframe you are making the trip. Can you please send me the information how booked this cruise and how much..?

Sorry for posting question instead of an answer

Thank you ([email protected])

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

I'm looking into two tour operators. One is located in the US--Egyptian Connection, and the other is in Egypt.

Website info for Egyptian Connections
www.egyptontheweb.com
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:20 PM

I am booked on the African Queen in March 2005. I have booked trip arrangements with Egyptian Connections also. I have tried and tried to get info on this ship and other than the picture and info on the Egyptian Connections website, I cannot find any other info. If you do find out anything I would greatly appreciate you passing it along!! I will reciprocate. If you do go in Feb and do this ship PLEASE email me when you get back and let me know all about it.

Thanks and have a wonderful trip!
AprilA
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 05:21 PM

I guess it might help if I left my email address!
[email protected]
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 06:17 PM

I finally got this information on the internet: there are 5 star ships but they vary greatly and one has to ask for 5 star deluxe (if that is what you want). African Queen was 5 star.
Let us know if you have finally booked and how it was! This info may be of no help to you!!
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Hello again, I have further researched this myself and thought I would pass along what I have found out. I actually ended up posting on Virtual Tourist (for some reason they seem to have alot more info on Egypt than this forum but I find this forum easier to search). I have recieved replies both on their forum and also peronal e-mails. Everyone has said this boat is nice and that is is clean. I was also told it has very good air conditioning which I guess is a big plus in Egypt! I was told is is not as fancy as some of the ships but was comfortable with friendly employees. I feel good about it now and I hope this gives you a more positive feeling about it.

Have a wonderful trip,
April
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. If we decide to go on the African Queen, I will share my experience. But, it looks like you will be going in March, and that is when i get back. Have a safe trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2005, 04:52 PM

We don't leave till the last week of March so if you get back before then I would LOVE your feedback!
Again, I hope you have a wonderful trip, AprilA
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 02:59 AM

Hello,

I have been an American expat living in Cairo, Egypt for 5 years. There is quite a large community of foreigners here and we almost all go on cruises on one of the following three boats:

The Oberoi Philae
Abercrombie and Kent
Sonesta

The Philae has balconies with table and chairs and a very attentive staff and quite good food which no one in our party got sick on—this is a MAJOR concern on the boats. (Even though I have lived here so long, I still only eat green salads that I have prepared in my own home.) Other friends have really enjoyed the Abercrombie and Kent cruise. A few I know have satifactorily used the Sonesta boats as well.

Last November, I had three friends visit me from the States and I made the reservations for the Oberoi Philae through a company called, “See Egypt” in Ma'adi, Cairo. They paid $635 for a 4 night/5 day all inclusive fare, plus airfare, which unfortunately has tripled in price the last couple of years—I think they paid about $450 for the plane. See Egypt can be reached at: [email protected] or by calling;
20 2 378 0972 or 20 2 378 4771. To call out of the U.S. you have to put 011 in front of those numbers. They will Fed-Ex you the vouchers for about $40.

Hope this is helpful.

Old Jan 11th, 2005, 11:23 AM

My husband and I (we are American) travelled on the Oberoi Philae last March and were very pleased with the boat. As Pamela P points, the Philae has balconies and we really enjoyed sitting out and watching the banks of the Nile. It is a very clean boat, nicely appointed and the staff are very professional and friendly. The Philae also has it's own berth at the different stopping points, which means you don't have to walk through 5 other boats to get to land. Oh - and nobody got sick on our cruise either....
Enjoy your trip! You will love Egypt.
Lori
Old Apr 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM

Since no info on the African Queen was ever posted I thought I would add to this for future reference should someone do a search. We got back on April 1st and did go on the African Queen. Not one of the larger boats on the Nile but it was very clean and the crew and staff were exceptionally nice. The food was very good and service in the dining room was excellent. One deck even has small balconies for each room. We were lucky enough to get one of those rooms. Only possible complaint was the bed was very hard, but you are so worn out at the end of each day you really did not care. I would go on the Afican Queen again in a heartbeat.
Thanks,April
Old Apr 16th, 2005, 06:16 PM

The Sonesta Moon Goddess was fabulous. We went in March. All rooms are large and have balconies. The food and service were excellent also and we had a great mix of passengers. All fruits and veg. were washed in 'mineral water'. Most everybody ate everything and noone got sick.
Glad to see you got back before the bomb in Cairo. I wonder if a lot of people cancelled their trips after that?
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:22 AM

We are booked to Egypt with GETours in September and they use a ship called the Miriam for their Nile River Cruise. Can anyone comment on this ship? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Pamela, I hope you don't mind me asking. My husband and I are booked on the Oberoi Philae this August, for the Luxor to Aswan cruise. We were wondering about the Black & White party and what people wear? Does my husband need a tux, or could he get away with his blue suit with tie? Any other info on the Oberoi would be greatly appreciated

Regards
Rachel