African Family Safari

Jan 31st, 2002, 06:58 PM
Lorraine Selby

African Family Safari

We would like to go on Safari but some advice on the best places to go in Botswana & South Africa & what sort of Safari would suit our family, the childrens ages being 11 & 14,which Tour Companies have good reputations etc ? Also any recommendations in Mauritius. We would be looking at mid range accommodation etc. Look forward to hearing from anyone with first hand knowlege.

Feb 1st, 2002, 03:13 AM
KAVEY

Hi Lorraine
Some of the camps I stayed in would probably be a lot of fun for kids, such as Vumbura, which offered a lot of activities, and also had a little pool too.
Also Damaraland in Namibia.
We booked both through Wilderness Safaris.

I don't think Mombo etc are so family oriented.

But when I was reading their brochure I noticed they offer camping safaris which they recommended for families.

The kids get to help set up camp if they want to and can help cook etc and can get familiar with guide and staff. Also there is no pressure for them to behave for other guests if the group is just a family group.

I havent much info as we didnt go this route, but its a suggestion.

Kavey

Feb 12th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Melissa

L-
When researching my safari, I came across Thomson Safari company out of Massachusetts. They claim to specialize in family safaris and seem to be very well organized. Someday, when I have a family, I would love to use them. I think they have a website. Good luck - I think it is great that you want to expose your kids to other cultures and lands and to the joy of adventure travel.

Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Lynda Howland

I have traveled twice to S. Africa and once to Botswana. I can recommend an excellent tour guide in S. Africa if you wish to do a private safari. His name is Mervyn Sparks. He has a web site at www.wholeinone.co.za THere are so many things to see in South AFrica - beautiful scenery, Blyde River Canyon, the Garden Route down the ocean, Kruger, Hwulule (spelling?) game reserve, the Cape area.
In Botswana we did a participation camping safari with a company called Drifters out of Johannesburg. It was absoluting wonderful, and I think it would be an incredible experience for youngsters - camping under the stars, hearing animals at night, having elephants wander through the camp site at night. It is Africa at its best. and most exciting. We visited the Okavango Delta, Moremi, and up into Chobe - all wonderful places. In the process of planning the trip, I investigated numerous other safari companies in AFrica - some more upscale. If you would like the information I have on the companies, I would be glad to send it to you if you e-mail me.
Lynda

Search this Thread