Search

African Elephant in Apaling Situation

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
African Elephant in Apaling Situation

Hi everyone,
I am not normally one to post asking people to sign petitions but this story is just so so sad and I know those of you on Fodors are as interested in animal welfare as I .

This basic story is that in 1983, the Alaska Zoo acquired Maggie, a baby orphan elephant originating from Zimbabwe, to provide its solitary Asian female elephant, Annabelle, company. Maggie was orphaned due to her family being culled. The two were housed together until Annabelle's premature death from foot rot in 1997. Since then, Maggie has lived alone. She is 24 years old and should, barring an accident, live another 40 years.
Friends of Maggie believes the Alaska Zoo's decision to retain their solitary elephant was ill-founded. On August 13, 2004 the Alaska Zoo announced that it had decided to keep Maggie for the foreseeable future, despite it's inability to provide her the basic necessities of her species, other elephants and a large varied space in which to browse on a daily basis in year-round warm climate. Both her social needs and the need to range long distances are at the core of her being.

Maggie has 'collapsed' twice in the past Month and her situation is becoming worse as she seems to be giving up.Read this post here (http://www.care2.com/c2c/groups/disc...amp;pst=783187 )The powers that be are meeting on Tuesday (from what I can tell) to make a decision on Maggies future.

Please, please go to the website here http://www.friendsofmaggie.net/background.html to read the whole story and if you can sign the petition or even write to those people that would be fantastic.

I hope no-one minds me posting this here but it really has pulled at my heartstrings and if we can do ANYTHING to help this dire situation, well... Maggie deserves better.

Thanks everyone,
Imelda
Old May 27th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Thanks for the heads-up Mel. I signed the petition, wrote to the two zoo directors and the editor of the Anchorage Daily News. So sad how Maggie is kept and for people who supposedly love animals and work for zoos, it is apalling that they want to keep her there. I guess it's all about $$$.
Old May 27th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Thank You for posting this, we in LA just go tour last African ele to a sanctuary. New exhibit is going in for the remaining male asian ele. I got several emails off!!
Old May 27th, 2007, 06:29 PM

Thanks Imelda. I whipped off a couple of emails and signed the petition.
Old May 28th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Guys,
I just had to post this last night -I knew you would come through for Maggie.Lets hope some more Fodorites see this and sign up - she needs as many signatures and e-mails as possible

Imelda
Old May 28th, 2007, 09:53 PM

I am so sad to hear of Maggie's plight and have also signed the petition, written a letter and forwarded the link to many friends. How can people who supposedly love animals treat one like this - the photo of her in the snow was heartbreaking.
Keep up the good work Imelda!
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:49 PM

I have also signed the petition, sent e-mails and forwarded the link to friends. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. The situation is atrocious. You'd think with all of the data on depression these days that the zoo would recognize the effects of isolation. Or perhaps they just don't care. It is unacceptable.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for signing girls, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 'right' result from todays vote. I too am shocked at the conditions she's in - fingers crossed it won't be for very much longer. I'm keeping an eye on the website so I'll post the minute I see a decision.

Imelda
Old May 31st, 2007, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Well it's bad news for Maggie I'm afraid, the board didn't make a decision. Here are the links to the result of the meeting: http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp...;nav=menu510_2
& here http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ancho...-8831943c.html

Now more than ever we need to keep the e-mails going so if anyone hasn't yet signed the petition (link in the first post) or sent an e-mail please please take a few minutes to do so and help Maggie to have a better life.

Imelda
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM

Imelda - thank you so much for bringing this to our attention. We too have emailed the directors and officials at the Zoo and signed the petition and sent on links to friends and family.

There may be fodorfolk who might not engage in this action - however I am glad you have posted it and think it is entirely appropriate - If we love African wildlife and care about our humanity we will contribute to and assist in cases like these.

It take 30 seconds to sign the petition, it takes 10 minutes to write an email. I can only hope that there will be a significant response and that many fodorfolk have read and responded (but have not posted here to say they have done so. It is our responsibility to assist, I think.

Thank you
Jude
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Thembi!
I was unsure about posting about this here too but my thoughts were as yours, "we love African wildlife" and that, to me at least, means African wildlife anywhere in the world. Hopefully our signatures and e-mails will make a difference.

Imelda
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 02:05 PM

I've signed the petition.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 04:34 PM

I hope you dont mind if I post this link on the Lounge so it can get more viewers.
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM

Orangetravelcat - that is a great idea! Thanks for posting out on the lounge.

I have been in contact with Friends of Maggie and here is part of their reply to me received this morning.

Regarding the response received from this forum and other active people FOM person said in part:-

"It's very encouraging, there's a huge outpouring of concern right now for Maggie, we just hope it's not too late. We've been inundated, and the zoo is receiving more and more pressure from all quarters to move Maggie as soon as she's well enough to travel. That must happen before the approach of winter... Their [the Zoo Board] next meeting is June 5th, I believe."

So, thats is on Tuesday I will follow up and see what the Board response is and post results back here.

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:30 PM

Go OrangeTravelCat Go!
Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 06:52 PM

Just signed the petition, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Matt
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Nyamera and Matt, thank you for signing!!!!

Orangetravelcat - I agree with Thembi and Lynn, that's a FANTASTIC idea - the more people that see this and sign / e-mail the better!!!

Thembi, thank you for pposting the reply from friends of maggie. It really is looking like Maggie is in dire straits right now. She really needs to be in full health to make the journey, I hope and pray that that the Zoo keepers will be able to get her back on track and that the right decision is made on Tuesday.

Imelda
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

I just found this in the Anchorage Daily News: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/ancho...-8844685c.html

Imelda
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:51 PM

Thanks, Imelda. I signed the petition.

Take care.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:57 PM

And another supporter/petitioner here!!

Free Maggie!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -