Africal Lovers: Want to do a safari in Brazil?

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Africal Lovers: Want to do a safari in Brazil?

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...nses=0&start=0

I've posted my Aug, 2007 itinerary on the Latin America forum. Up to 8 can go.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Oops, "Tiny Earl" www.tinyurl.com would have been helpful here, but at least this is not a long trip report that doesn't fit on the screen and is hard to read.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
santharamhari

Lynn,

Which month in 2007 are you going to Africa?- as i remember Phinda and MM?

Hari

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

I leave about June 21, 2007 for South Africa. And I don't do international travel every other month. Those are the only two trips for 2007--South Africa and Brazil.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:37 AM
santharamhari

Thanks Lynn. My question regarding month of travel was intended for the purposes of dry or green season travel. So, dry season it is....

Hari

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Lynn: that looks like an outstanding trip and a very good operator. Did you receive a recommendation for Focus or just find it on your own?

The Pantanal is currently sitting in my top 5 future destinations and I would love to go but unfortunately I know I can't get away for 3 weeks and especially not in August with my field season in full swing. I have requested info for the 1 week Jaguar Pantanal trip to see what they are offering.

You will see a tremendous diversity of species. The maned wolf (more appropriately a fox on stilts) would be a tremendous sighting and you will remember the smell forever if you find one -- think wild dog scent x 3.
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 07:49 AM

That's a temendous use of tremendous I have going there. Needless to say your trip should be outstanding!
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

A "Predator endorsement" is like the good housekeeping seal of approval!

I asked about Focus Tours on the Fodor's Latin America forum but got no info. Actually very little info on the Pantanal in general.

I found them on the internet and by looking at guide books. I narrowed it down to Focus after many emails and phone calls to them and other operators.

The Pantanal river portion of my trip is often referred to as their "Jaguar Trip" plus there will be the savanna part of the Pantanal. Since the itinerary is in segments, travelers can join for just the Pantanal part or just for other parts.

I am looking forward to the smelly foxes on stilts and the rest of Brazil on this first trip.

Old Sep 28th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Lynn: Not to surprising you had trouble finding info on the Pantanal since I doubt many people have any idea what or where it is. That's one reason I really want to get there before everyone finds out as it is already really growing in popularity. I am hoping to establish a website in the not to distant future to start filling these ecotravel information gaps for those serious about their wildlife experiences but I have trouble finding enough time to get it off the ground. Also it will probably focus very hard on Africa since that market is big and I need it to be economically successful before expanding to other corners of the globe. In fact my 'good housekeeping seal of approval' will be the Roar of Approval.

I actually thought about asking if it were possible to just join for a segment as I am very serious about experiencing the Pantanal but I don't think August will work for me. Do you know seasonally when the best chance to see jaguars is -- I have emailed Focus to ask that question and get a quote for that portion. I don't think I will make any booking until early 2007 but you never know perhaps I would squeeze it into August. While I was at it I asked them about another special place I have interest in -- the beach in Chile where orcas swim in and take seals off the beach. I have forgotten the exact location and seasonal timing but hoping the Focus expertise might extend to there.

If you want to me email me your itinerary I'd love to see it [email protected]
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 01:43 AM

My parents have done at least two trips to the Pantanal, possibly three - I can hardly keep up with their travels! They love it!

Your trip looks fabulous, Lynn!