Africa: When to travel

May 3rd, 2001, 03:59 PM
Rhoda

Africa: When to travel

My husband and I would like to go to Africa next year (2002), maybe Zimbabwe; Kenya; Tanzania - we're not sure. Any suggestions on where we should go on safari?

Also, what is the best time of the year to travel to avoid the rains, the heavy trafic of tourists and indeed the intense heat. Ideally off peak season when its not too hot.

Any info. at all would be great.
Thank You!

May 3rd, 2001, 11:41 PM
local

All of the countries that you mention is good for safaris nad you can add Botswana to it. If you have not been to Africa before you will do yourself an injustice if you do not visit South Africa - see www.southafrica.net for info. (Many people are cagey to go to Zimbabwe due to developments there but the tourist sites such as Victoria Falls are safe and highly recommended.)

November through February is warm (no hot), rainy and lots of tourists.

May 4th, 2001, 06:24 AM
Celia

Another vote for Botswana and South Africa. Unlike countries to the north, these two don't have intense heat (at least not intense compared to July in the American midwest). They also have extremely well-managed parks and wildlife reserves, and huge populations of wild animals.

South Africa isn't too expensive, especially if you go for 3-star instead of 5-star accommodation. The tourism infrastructure is excellent, and the food and the wine are world class.The Web has all kinds of information about South Africa and southern Africa. The whole area is absolutely magical.

With all the political craziness going on in Zimbabwe right now, I would skip it except for Victoria Falls.

May 15th, 2001, 04:50 PM
Martin

Hi Rhoda,

I cannot recommend South Africa too highly and whenever I go back it reminds me of the great things that are available there especially the inexpensive world class food.

If you want to see game the best time to visit would be June and July as it is winter and the temperature is very comfortable in the Eastern Transvaal (Mpumalanga (sp?)). It is also the dry season and therefore the grass will be short and you will be able to find a lot of game at the watering holes. You will also find very few tourists during this period.

If you want to see Cape Town the best time to see it would be in February. The majority of tourists will have departed (mainly back to the other provinces) and the weather is at its best. You will be able to see the Cape in all its glory and most facilities will still be open. During winter the city has its charms but a lot of facilities close down and the weather becomes unpleasant.

May 21st, 2001, 02:38 AM
nina

I suggest East Africa (kenya and tanzania)as that is where safari was born. Try Vintage Africa(www.vintageafrica.com), they are the best. The best time is b/w Dec to March. Hoewever the migration period in Kenya is spectacular which is from mid- July till mid-sep. Off peak is b/w April to June where the prices are at least 30% cheaper, but it is rainy season.

May 22nd, 2001, 10:02 PM
Craig

Hi Rhoda,

There are some great place to see in most countries it just depends on what you are both looking for and what type of Holiday you would like.

I am an operator based in the Zambezi Valley, Zimbabwe and do walking safaris in Matusadona National Park. You can see details on my web page at www.sengwa.com

There is a lot to do and see in Zimbabwe and Zambia is also a great destination if you are looking for remote areas small numbers of people and lots of animals.

Really depends on Budget and amount of time you have. Best time of the year again depends on what you want to get out of the trip.

If you would like some more details and information then send me an email and we can discuss some ideas.

Search this Thread