Search

Kenya: best parks?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:25 AM
Jochen

Kenya: best parks?

Hi fellow world citizens,<BR><BR>We're thinking of going on a safari to Kenya. But there's just so much choice, so many different arrangements,... Apparently we should go to Masai Mara in the 2nd week of september, as then it's that &quot;huge migration&quot; thing. Is that correct? And other than Masai Mara, can you tell me what parks/reserves are the best to visit at that time of the year? I'm looking for an as wide variation in wildlifa as possible.<BR><BR>Thanks a lot,<BR><BR>J.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:40 AM
Jochen

Damn!<BR><BR>...now I read that the top of the migration is August. Is this true? Begin August? End August? Begin September? <BR><BR>J.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Michael

The migration path and schedule is up to the wildebeast, but when I was in the Masai Mara in mid-August, the migration was in full swing. You should be able to find the general schedule on the internet. Besides Masai Mara, Amboseli and Tsavo are great parks.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 09:00 AM
Susan

Jochen:<BR><BR>My husband and me arrived in the Masai Mara Sept. 21 and witnessed a crossing of wildebeast three days later. There is no guarantee when crossings will take place, but one is a sight to behold. After the Mara, we went to Amboseli, which was fantastic. Amboseli is well-known for its elephant population, and having seen it, we now understand the accolades given that park. Our next trip I am hoping to go to Meru, which you may want to check out. Good luck and have a fantastic time planning your trip.

Old Jan 16th, 2003, 04:36 PM
dcp

As the person above states, the migration is totally up to the Wildebeast. However, I was there mid-late Sept and saw more wildebeast than I care to remember. While I certainly found it impressive, it was not nearly the most impressive part of our game drives. IMHO - I preferred the numerous lion prides, cheetahs, monkey,s, and actually witnessing giraffes running at full speed across a huge expanse of the Masai Mara. Maybe it's because I'm from the midwest but I found the wildebeast to be rather dull after a couple of encounters.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 05:19 AM
felicia

I agree with Susan--I was in Kenya and Tanzania last February and Amboseli was the best of all the parks, especially for viewing elephants and all other wildlife for that matter. with Kilimanjaro as a back drop, what could be better. Lake Manyara was a waste--very little there to see. Enjoy.

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:38 PM
nancy

I was in Kenya in October, 2000 visiting Amboseli, Samburu, Lake Navaisha and the Masai Mara. Amboseli is desert-like and Samburu is tropical. Masai Mara was desert-like but we stayed along the Mara River and saw the most animals. Lake Navaisha was great for the ambience and birds plus the hippos. The choice of these camps I thought gave us a great overview. I have a trip diary if you're interested in e-mailing me directly. I would love to do it all over again.