Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Africa trip photos from last year (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/africa-trip-photos-from-last-year-525712/)

azrat May 1st, 2005 08:31 AM

Africa trip photos from last year

Sorry folks I tried to write a trip report of our month in Africa last fall but I am not a quality writer like I've read in some great posts here. Instead I've posted a link to my Ofoto site (now Kodak Easyshare) which has my entire trip in cronological order with photos and some comments. For most this will be very long 500+ photos, and boring. For others who have wondered what the camp life looks like, how people dress, the transportation, etc. there are lots of photos of us on holiday. Also many animal photos if you are patient and view the whole thing. For example at Chapungu camp in the Kruger area we spotted all the 'big five' in one morning drive plus a trio of cheetah in the afternoon; or at Tubu Tree in Botswana a fuzzy group of 'cheetah kill' shots, ( I was busy watching the whole thing to take quality pics). I don't profess to be a great photographer as these are just my vacation 'snapshots' and I pray the link I pasted here works. see ya

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=1eq1gu

linjudy May 1st, 2005 10:22 AM

Wow! Thanks for posting the great pictures. I looked through all 515 -- not boring at all!

How would you compare the animal viewing experience between SA and Botswana? From your photos it looks like you got a lot closer to the animals in SA?

Judy

Clematis May 1st, 2005 11:01 AM

azrat, I started looking at them. You did a great job because you remembered to take photos every step of the way. This gives the viewer the feeling of being on the trip with you, walking to the plane, etc. Can you post the names of all the camps you went to please? Thanks for uploading all the photos!

rsnyder May 1st, 2005 12:12 PM

azrat, thanks for posting the pictures. I particularly enjoyed the ones of the elephants in camp and the various antelope. Of course seeing ones with second vehicle gave additional perspective of just how close one can get to game during drives! Dick

azrat May 1st, 2005 12:33 PM

Thanx for the kind comments. Linjudy; yes we did get alot closer to the game in SA. But for the overall experience we wanted the Okavango Delta as the az in azrat stands for Arizona and we live in the middle of the Sonoran Desert so the water camps were real different for us. Because they were all islands game was harder to find but the 'in the wilds' experience was much more intense, as well as the sights lines more open in Botswana areas as opposed to the Kruger which was 'woodland savana'. Clematis; camps in Botswana were PomPom Camp, Jacana Camp and Tubu Tree Camp. In SA we visited Elephant Plains in Sabi and Thornybush Chapungu camp and Hluhluwe River lodge in Zululand.

eenusa May 1st, 2005 12:40 PM

Thanks for the opportunity for a "virtual safari".

atravelynn May 1st, 2005 02:47 PM

Happy 25 Anniversary that is now nearing 26. You picked a perfect way to celebrate in my opinion.

Somebody likes water lillies! Such a nice variety of sightings. The rhinos in the "classic Africa" photos were stunning. Some great sunrise/sunset shots. Looked like you had numerous close elephant encounters with some right outside your tent.

Thanks for the pictures.

sandi May 1st, 2005 04:37 PM

You didn't need to write a trip report... the photos told it all. And what a wonderful way to celebrate your 25th.

I really enjoyed and these brought back lots of memories, especially that sign at the Kingdom Hotel - "parents watch your children, live croc in the water" - got the same pic. Like you we visited the Falls at low flow and were able to see just how magnificent they are. We did have a bit more water on our '01 November visit which, no doubt, changes year-to-year.

Thanks so much for sharing with us.

JanGoss May 1st, 2005 07:07 PM

Azrat:

Thanks so much for sharing your great photos.

I, like Dick Sndyer, particularly enjoyed seeing the elephants so close to the tents. Great pictures!

Jan

safari274 May 1st, 2005 09:23 PM

I should be working but looking through all 515 of your photos was much more enjoyable. The photos of the camps, airports, flights, etc really helped also as I'm planning my first trip to Africa (as opposed to the everything-is-great brochure photos). I especially loved the elephants in camp (something I can only hope to experience) and the lions lounging near Kruger. The sunsets/sunrises were wonderful, especially when reflecting on the water.

:) :) :)

RuthieC May 2nd, 2005 12:08 AM

Thabks for posting all those photos and what a great experience you had. Seeing the cheetah kill must have been really special.

lisa May 3rd, 2005 09:41 AM

Really enjoyed your photo album -- not boring at all -- felt like we were there!

one2travel May 3rd, 2005 10:20 AM

azrat,

Thanks. It was so wonderful looking at your photos. I am so jealous that you got to see a cheetah kill. They are my favorite cats and I've never seen a kill.

The Victoria Falls photos brought back many fond memories and at the same time, a lot of sadness when I read your commentary (thanks by the way). I was there in 1995 and VF was really "hopping."

What type of digital camera did you use and what was the lens?

Thanks again.

Deb

P.S. I tried to run a search on azrat so I could see your itinerary planning (why you chose the camps you did, etc.) and I couldn't find anything. Could you give more specifics as to why you chose the camps in the various regions? I am hoping to make it to the Okavango Delta in the next couple of years and I'm curious. Thanks.

Favor May 3rd, 2005 11:01 AM

Thanks so much! :-) Those were great (all 515). We also had Grant as our guide at Tubu Tree and thought he was the best.

Leely May 3rd, 2005 11:12 AM

Thank you for sharing your (great!) photos. It's so obvious what a wonderful time you both had. I hope you can return soon!

Kavey May 3rd, 2005 12:33 PM

They are taking a long while to load so it's taking me a while to go through but... it's so enjoyable.

I'm at Tubu Tree so far!

We haven't been to Pom Pom but the mokoro shots and the ones from the plane were so reminiscent of our experiences at other camps that I did enjoy your photos.

Once you got to Jacana I was even more excited as we were there for 3 nights last June. Different managers though but wonderful too. Same polers and guides. Isn't it MAGICAL.

AND then we went on to Tubu, also transferred by boat and also had Grant as our guide. One of the best guides in Africa, in my opinion!

And I love the detail of the text - it IS a full trip report right there!

Roccco May 3rd, 2005 12:54 PM

Wow...thank you for sharing this amazing experience with us! :)

(And thanks for the clarification on the Indians...dot, not feather). ;)
Cape Malay, possibly?

My heart raced for so many of your pictures, and I especially loved the pictures showing the lodging at Jacana, Tubu Tree and the wildlife that at times were so very close. I would have had a nervous breakdown had that elephant got so close to me, and I don't think I would have had the nerve to sneak up on that one elephant to spank it on its backside, as you nearly did! :)

I MUST get to Botswana next April, and I definitely think that Tubu Tree will be part of my itinerary (as well as Savuti and Vumbura).

Now, honestly, was Elephant Plains, with all those other guests, a letdown after Jacana and Tubu Tree? I could not help but notice all of the other guests in the dining area.

Thanks again. :)

dreaming May 3rd, 2005 03:02 PM

Absolutely fantastic to see your photos and comments. Thanks for your generosity!