Search

Where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Gisela

Where to stay?

Hi,<BR>I am going to Turkey at the end of August, for 9 days. Flying into Istanbul, staying 2 days and then thinking of flying to Izmir. Then taking a bus to Kusadasi and baseing myself there for the rest of the time. Couple of questions - <BR>1) Is Kusadasi a good place to use as base for 7 days. Or any suggestion where esle?<BR>2) Are there buses from Izmir airport to Kusadasi?<BR>3) Hotel suggestions for Kusadasi?<BR><BR>Cheers!<BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:02 AM
asdf

Suggest you post your inquiry in the Europe forum. Turkey is there (and Asia), not Africa.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Susan

Actually Fodors puts Turkey in both Africa/Middle East and Europe, so you could post in both forums. I think there's more information in the Europe forum. Unfortunately I haven't been to Kusadasi or Istanbul yet - we spent our time further south. <BR><BR>You'll love Turkey!

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:12 AM
alison

If possible, take a gulet cruise on the torquoise coast. there is much info on the web about how to get one or deal with a travel agent who specializes in Turkey. we took 7-day gulet last summer and had greatest travel experience. 2 days is barely enough in Istanbul. Turkey is wonderful travel destination.

Old Jul 6th, 2002, 04:30 AM
Lisa

We used a wonderful guide when we were in Istanbul last year before our cruise.We used his recommendatins for the hotel and he got us quite a large discount too.It was very coste-ffective to use a guide and we saw so mucu more and learned so much more than traveling or touring on our own. I would recommend it particularly if you are a woman traveling on your own. I don't know whether I would feel comfrotable being in Turkey on my own. I know he does tours around Turkey too. If you are interested in his contact details, post here or e-mail me.We were in Kusadasi for one day only on the cruise. I am not sure where would be the best place to base oneself but possibly you may want to spend a few days here and there in order to see more of the interior.<BR><BR>Turkey was a highlight of our cruise. It was nothing like I expected and was beautiful.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Peter

G&yacute;sela,<BR>Don`t go to Ism&yacute;r, go stra&yacute;ght to Sel&ccedil;uk. You w&yacute;ll know why when you get there. It &yacute;s unbel&yacute;evable. There &yacute;s a new hotel, not hostel, that &yacute;s f&yacute;n&yacute;sh&yacute;ng &yacute;t`s f&yacute;rst year. Hotel Bella. Somebody &yacute;n Istanbul recommended &yacute;t and &yacute;t could not have been better. For only 6 US dollars a n&yacute;ght you get the cleanest, b&yacute;ggest room w&yacute;th best bathrooms you could want. Make a reservat&yacute;on and they w&yacute;ll p&yacute;ck you up from bus stat&yacute;on. They w&yacute;ll also dr&yacute;ve you to Kusadas&yacute; and v&yacute;rtually anywhere else. <BR>I am a 27 year old Amer&yacute;can travel&yacute;ng on a budget and w&yacute;ll recommend th&yacute;s place to everybody. <BR>Good luck,<BR>Peter Dyke, Wash&yacute;ngton D.C.