Africa Trains

Mar 17th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Africa Trains

Does anyone have current experience with train safaris in Africa?
Mar 17th, 2013, 04:48 PM

We had a wonderful trip on the Shongololo Express two years ago. There is a trip report - type it in "Search the Forums". Not fancy but the food was great and we got to see a lot of countries and enjoyed every bit of the trip.
Mar 18th, 2013, 06:59 AM

I have been on the Rovos Rail five times and the blue train once. Rovos Rail's bread-and-butter trips are Pretoria (near Jo'burg) to Cape Town and Pretoria to Victoria Falls. Sometimes, depending on the condition of the track, the Victoria Falls run stops for a day safari in the Hwange National Park which is close to Victoria Falls. Rovos also does several Cape Town to Dar Es Salaam journeys every year. This trip is about two weeks and a little more safari centric.

It is better, in my opinion, to use a luxury rail trip to supplement a safari but the safari should be planned separately. For example, in 2008 I took my wife on Rovos Rails for her 35th birthday. We traveled from Cape Town to Pretoria and then continued the trip from there to the Kruger National Park.

FYI - I just had some clients take the Rovos Rail last week to Cape Town. They said it was "much better than Palace on Wheels" in India.

Craig Beal - owner - Travel Beyond
2011 & 2012 Travel & Leisure A-List Agent for Botswana and Zimbabwe

Search this Thread