Africa-Suggestions Needed!!

Feb 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Africa-Suggestions Needed!!

I am interested in seeing Africa next spring (late March) but dont know where to begin. I unfortunately dont have a great deal of time (maybe 7 full days). I was originally thinking of Cape town (beach, wineries etc) but would like to do a mini-safari maybe a balloon ride. Does Cape town have any game reserves that are accessible. If not; any other cities I should consider??? Thanks for any help!!!
Feb 25th, 2005, 05:28 PM
Original Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention that I would love to see Victoria Falls. Possible????
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:58 PM

RChandler,

I think your itinerary is very possible, if you are willing to concede a visit to Kruger National Park to instead visit a place called Matetsi near Victoria Falls for your safari. While you are not going to see the predators that you would in Kruger National Park you will definitely see plenty of elephants, giraffes, buffalo, antelope and if you are lucky you will see a big cat.

I would strongly recommend a four night package available for a great hotel in Cape Town right on the ocean called The Twelve Apostles Hotel available on this website:

www.luxurylink.com

For Matetsi, you may visit http://www.ccafrica.com/reserve-1-id-2-9

At Matetsi, you will be provided twice daily game activities (night game drives but your choice of game drive or canoeing in the daytime) AND you will be provided with free daily transfers to Victoria Falls, about a 60 minute drive away. Once you have seen the falls, however, you would be much better off soaking up the environment at Matetsi.

Cost:

Twelve Apostles Hotel, 4 nights in a 700 sq. ft. luxury seafacing room as part of Luxury Link Package, including airport transfers = $1,300 USD

Air from Cape Town - Victoria Falls - Johannesburg (where you will fly out of, as there is no sense in returning all the way to Cape Town) $900 USD ($450 pp)

Matetsi, 3 nights, including road transfers to/from Victoria Falls Airport = $1,700

GRAND TOTAL = $3,900 USD ($1,950 pp), excluding international air.

I don't know what your budget is, but I can assure you that this would be a top notch little holiday and a nice introduction to Southern Africa.

It is a shame that you do not have longer, but I think you are far better off going this route, where you will see Cape Town, see Victoria Falls, have the opportunity to go canoeing in the Zambezi River and go on a few game drives, than if you were just to go to Cape Town and the Sabi Sand Game Reserve in Kruger National Park. Although the game viewing would be better in the Sabi Sand, you would miss out on canoeing and visiting Victoria Falls, and likely pay twice the price for an equivalent lodge.

Hope this helps.
Feb 26th, 2005, 05:32 AM
Original Poster

Oh my, thank you sooo much for all of the info!!! This sounds right up my ally. As strange as it sounds elephants, giraffe etc are mosre my taste, I dont know if I could handle seeing a large cat attack an antelope!!! I am so very excitied and appreciate all of the time you invested in giving me such thorough information. This web site ROCKS!!!!

Search this Thread