Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar Travel Companies

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar Travel Companies

After searching through the posts I was hoping I could get some input on trip organizers that do safaris in east africa. Particularly, I'm interested in the crater and the mara. We would be on our honeymoon in the beginning of August but we don't have the $7000pp that we've been quoted as the general cost of a trip like this. I'm not looking to do the super budget trip but if its between going at lower than the Ritz level and not going, well I'd rather go. There are so many tour operators out there quoting such high prices I'm having trouble trusting what any of them tell me (since they're all based in the US). If you have an agent or company you've used in the past (I can work on where specifically to stay later) and had good experiences with your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:30 PM
sandi

August is the height of the season for travel to East Africa, the reason for high prices. It's Migration time in the Mara, airfares are high and accommodations are also. But I don't think you have to spend $7000 person. You can check some in-country tour operators, both Kenya and/or Tanzania, and can probably get better prices.
Try these sites:

www.roysafaris.com (Tanzania)
www.wildtreksafaris.com (Kenya)

both can do either country along with Zanzibar. Best to email both, tell them what you want and have them submit proposals. Do realize that tented camps are likely to be more expensive then lodges, but you should stay at a permanent tented camp for a few nights - a great experience.

It would be interesting if you posted what some of the tour operators you've contacted did recommend for an itinerary and the accommodations. If you don't mind.

Hope the above sites work for you.

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Jublank:

If you have an idea of where you want to go and the lodges you are interested in you might want to email Southern Cross Safaris in Mombasa. I have used them on all my 5 previous trips and indeed am using them now for my July/August trip. They will set up your trip ala carte as per your wishes and see that you are well taken care of.

I travel alone so I have a single supplement attached but still pay around $3,000 for an 18 day stay in Kenya all at very nice lodges and hotels and tented camps. SXS does both Kenya and Tanzania. If you are interested email [email protected] and he will give you an estimate.

One warning - Kenya has a terrible problem with telephones and computers. You may get a message from their "spam police" that you message has been deleted. Just resend it and you should get a reply within a day or so.

SXS is a well-known company and has been in business for many years. You can look them up on their website.

Jan
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Jan - it sounds like you are quite the experience africa traveler - do you have a few "must stay" or favorite place suggestions for a first timer? I'm relieved to hear about a company that someone trusts - I want to enjoy the trip and not spend time worrying whether our transfers will be coordinated etc. . .
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:08 PM

jublank,

Here are the email addresses for the companies that I suggest you contact for the best priced Tanzanian safaris:

Roy Safaris
www.roysafaris.com

Tanzania Serengeti Adventures
http://www.habari.co.tz/tsa/

Predator Safaris
www.predators-safaris.com

Peacock Tours & Safaris
http://www.peacocksafaris.com/
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 05:36 PM

Hi, were using Vintage Africa for our trip. A lot of positive comments on this board, and their prices are what made us decide to choose them. We are going to Kenya/Tanzania/Zanzibar as well (18 days including travel) Good luck, it is a bit overwhelming.
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Ah, but, Cronen, it is worth every minute of being overwhelmed!!!

Jublank: We used Roy Safaris for our 2002 Kenya/Tanzania trip and will be using them again for our upcoming (albeit not soon enough!) trip in October of this year. We found their prices to be very competitive and their service is fantastic. The most important thing is that you ask questions, lots of them. And if you are uncertain about an answer, ask for clarification. Just make sure you are as informed as possible. And what an ideal location for a honeymoon!!! Africa!!! How romantic!!!! You definitely want a blend of lodges/permanent tented camps!!! Wish I had thought of going to Africa on my honeymoon ... but perhaps I will just emulate Kavey and renew my vows over there.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 01:49 PM

Jublank:

I am not nearly as much a traveler as most of the people on the board. I am an elephant lover so I always go to the parks with the highest elephant populations. Though I have gone five times, I always go to both Amboseli and Tsavo East National Parks.

What you're mainly interested in is what should determine where you should go. Many other people on the board have traveled to almost all the parks and could perhaps give you a better idea of what you "shouldn't miss".
Most people make the Mara and the crater "must sees" on their list.

If you have any questions about Amboseli or Tsavo please feel free to email me any time [email protected] and I'll be glad to give you any information I can.

Jan
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:45 AM
nkh

Hi jublank

While companies directly in Africa may offer cheaper rates, you may find airfare expensive if booked separately. I just took a quick look at www.2afrika.com (2afrika has lots of recommenders on this board if you search for it - one of them is me )

They are quoting a 15 day safari to Tanzania and Kenya in August at $4290 per person plus tax, including airfare. They also have shorter trips available (but this is the shortest trip that does the Crater and the Mara).

You may want to take a look at what they offer since when we were booking our trip we found that once we added in the airfare prices we couldnt find a better "overall" deal.

Other posters (and myself) have posted question responses/trip reports etc. for 2afrika so you can find out what they are about, luxury levels, etc. Their accommodations will be hotel-like in size (ie 70-80 people at a lodge, not 12 at a camp). If a honeymoon, it is also worth knowing that for the game drives and meals you will probably be in a group (up to 6 people in a van) instead of just the 2 of you on a private safari - this may make a difference in your decision on company.

Good luck and congratulations!