Africa questions

Oct 5th, 2003, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Africa questions

My girlfriend & I are able to get 3 weeks off this January
she is in her 20's i am in my 30's
we have so many questions we do not even know where to start.
we are from New York
so here i go
1) where would you recomend searching for info?
2) guided tours the whole way? and what is the age group usually ?
3)what type of weather can I expect in january( is that the hot season?)
4) what type of price are we really looking at for 3 weeks( US currancy)
4) anything any one can tell us we should know
5) do we have enough time to plan this type of trip ?
Oct 5th, 2003, 11:05 PM

Yes, you can plan this trip for January, especially because tourism is down in general but particularly in parts of Africa like Kenya. For research, I would read past messages on this board and also at thorntree at Lonely Planet, where you will find a lot of 20-somethings making travel plans, some of them doing it very cheaply. I'd also spend time in a book store, flipping through the guidebooks. Don't be pressured into rushing into a committment. Also, be cautious if strangers email you asking for personal information. Don't post your real first name and specific dates of travel as people have been known to then claim commission from those agents or bookings that you might otherwise have had as a discount (whether or not they had anything to do with it). Anyway, the majority are truly helpful.
Oct 6th, 2003, 04:45 AM
sandi

You do have enough time to plan a trip for Africa, especial East Africa. For first-timers, the company "2afrika" is suggested for first-timers.

www.2afrika.com

they have consolidator airfares, and offer trips at budget and moderate prices. The group can be just the two of you or maybe a few other people. Ages vary. In East Africa (Kenya and Tanzania) the temp is often constant as they are on the Equator, but you do have rainy season, a short-rains season, a season with cold nights - the tour operator can best advise which you'll have in January.

Check the website to get an idea of what is offered, stops, accommodations, etc. then come back and ask questions for clarification.

Oct 7th, 2003, 06:51 PM

I just returned from a 1 week safari trip to Kenya. I planned and executed the entire trip in three weeks. I used go2africa.com. My agent was Maureen Stover. In Kenya my company was Vintage africa.com Maureen arranged everything including $1100.00 airfare. The trip was absolutely FANTASTIC and safe,efficient and exceeded all my expectation! I was told that due to volume booking, go2africa.com gets great prices and they did for me!

Search this Thread