Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

anyone spent Christmas in Cairo and/or Sharm?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Late in the day I know to be trying to plan a holiday to anywhere over Christmas, but would welcome any feedback regarding whether Christmas is a good time to head to Egypt. I know it does get dark around 4.30 but otherwise can we expect warm weather - we are hoping to enjoy some pool/sunbathing time as well as all the history. The weather guides I've seen indicate temperatures of around 22C. Also do the Hotels 'decorate' for Christmas - we were lucky enough to be in the DR for Christmas last year and the Hotels there were beautifully lit at night with so many enchanting Christmas lights and decorations. Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 02:52 AM

I've lived in Cairo for a year now, and I did not think Christmas was anything special here. Any decorating (minimal) is done strictly for tourists. The temperature was in the 70's, not really conducive for me to go swimming, but lots of people still do! I have not been to Sharm, although I plan to do so over Thanksgiving. I hear it's a very nice little resort town. If you go there, be sure to take a tour to St. Catherine's Monastery and/or climb Mount Sinai.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 06:26 AM

We were in Aswan on Easter Sunday 3 years ago. No evidence that it was a Christian holiday (I did not expect any) BUT there was an area in the lobby of the hotel with plastic Easter eggs and baby chicks, geese and some other bird (live).
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:57 AM

We were in Cairo during last Christmas and the only festive decoration we saw was in the hotel lobby and restaurants(Fourseasons). Temperature was cool reaching almost 0 at night and during the daytime it was foggy or overcast most of the time which made it quite chilly. Outside of the city, by the step and Giza pyramids the sun was out with brilliant blue sky and we walked around with sleeveless vests - perfect for us.

After Cairo we spend time at Abu Simbel, Aswan cruising to Luxor where we spent the new year. Temp were warmer but still very comfortable all day.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM

We were in Sharm a week before Christmas last year. Christmas decorations were indeed just for tourists, nothing special!
The weather was gorgeous all the time, sunny and warm, about 82?F. Cooled off quite a bit at night but we still had most of our dinners outside.
While the Red Sea is still warm enough to swim/snorkel/dive, make sure you pick out a hotel that has a heated pool!