Africa Geographic November issue

Nov 11th, 2006, 02:57 AM
santharamhari

Africa Geographic November issue

I meant to post this yesterday, but couldnt get to it....

For those of you subscribing to Africa Geographic, the November issue is another good one....

Great pictures from Botswana by Michael Poliza. One that stands out is a charging ele in the Linyanti.

The "escapes" section has an article on Kwando called,"abundance of experiences". It's a well written article on the game-viewing experiences on Kwando. Brief mention of our favourite cheetah boys in there. Unfortunately, the article doesnt highlight the fact that the Kwando experience is not just about the animals and game, but a lot more. That said, it is understandable.... as the article may be related to the Mark Tennant guided yearly AG trip "Predators of northern Botswana".

Other good articles include the rhinos of ngorongoro- which i havent got to reading yet....

Hari

Nov 11th, 2006, 03:10 AM
santharamhari

I can't resist posting this paragraph....based on the discussions on countless arguements on these boards......those that remember those threads will relate to the "essence" of this message....

Lebala, which means 'wide open spaces" in Setswana, is all about plains and sweeping vistas of marsh and horizon. The concentrations of animals and excellent visibility provide some of the best game-viewing in Botswana. As i stand beside the Uri game viewer (induvidual seats, excellent springs), sipping one of the african safari's essential components-the sundowner- the golden grass gleams, then tinges scarlet in the setting sun.

The rest of the article, i will leave the joys of reading from your copy.

Hari

Nov 11th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Hari: no doubt that description takes me back to Kwando -- wish I could be cruising the plains looking for the cheetah brothers right now. I'll have to get the magazine to read it all for myself.
Nov 11th, 2006, 09:56 AM

How does one subscribe to this magazine?
Nov 11th, 2006, 10:29 AM

go to www.africageographic.com and follow instructions. it's about $85.oo a year U.S. and well worth it!
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM

Hari,

I relate to it all too easily. Same or very similar country that I have a passion for...and you're going back to it in a few short months!

And Michael Poliza! He shoots a lot at Mombo; his leopard pics from there are breathtaking. Some Fodorites might have seen him at work. I haven't seen the magazine yet, but I think I've seen the charging ellie photo...it's on Poliza's website, and is in his book 'Africa.'

John
Nov 11th, 2006, 01:18 PM

I also enjoy "Travel Africa", a quarterly magazine out of the UK. Their website is www.travelafricamag.com.
Nov 11th, 2006, 07:31 PM
santharamhari

John,

Yep.....the pictures of Poliza are basically in promotion of that "Africa" book you mentioned.....there is also a very nice pic of a herd of buffalo from the air.

Hari

Nov 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Glad to see another thread about the latest excellent issue of AG - and glad to see more new subscriptions coming from it. It's such an excellent magazine; I've learned so much from it and enjoy every issue - so I'm glad to see yet more people discover it.

I know I've pulled in quite a few new subscriptions - I wonder how many people in total have subscribed because of posts by those of us who have been posting about it? We should get commission!

Oh and I enjoyed my latest copy of Travel Africa (UK based travel mag) too!
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:00 AM
santharamhari

Kavey, is Travel Africa a similar style Magazine? or is it more about camps and lodges?

Thanks
Hari

Nov 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM

Hari
Travel Africa is aimed at those who enjoy travelling to Africa rather than about conservation issues and the like, though they do occasionally crop up.
It's not always as in depth as some of our posts here but I really enjoy some of the articles and features in it - some good articles on specific parks, new camps and so on plus nice photos too. It's very well priced and comes out once every 2 months so it's well worth it, in my opinion.
Nov 13th, 2006, 05:37 PM

I was worried my AG was lost in the mail but it just showed up today -- woo hoo!
Nov 13th, 2006, 06:23 PM
santharamhari

Thanks, Kavey....

Nov 14th, 2006, 05:15 AM

You're welcome --- it's cheap enough that you can always just subscribe for a year to see what you think... it's not for everyone as it's not necessarily as detailed as some of our own Fodors trip reports but it's motivational/ inspirational and somewhat informative and I always look forward to the latest issues.
Nov 14th, 2006, 08:02 AM

Hari, Travel Africa is equally good, but its less frequent than Africa Geographic -- quarterly vs. monthly.

I have a double redeye on Friday (JFK to Milan, layover, then Milan to Dubai), so I have been saving magazines since September, and I'll read this on the flight (either there or back from Dubai).

Thanks for the alert.
Nov 14th, 2006, 10:46 AM

Michael - that's very organised of you!
Trouble is that I always like to keep all my back issues of magazines like Travel Africa and Africa Geographic (and Wanderlust too) so, although I enjoy reading magazines when travelling, I tend not to take these ones with me as I prefer to take ones I can discard when I've read them.