Africa for 3 weeks - help me get started

Apr 2nd, 2006, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Africa for 3 weeks - help me get started

We are thinking of planning for an African getaway at the end of the year for 3-4 weeks. Not even sure where to begin, but are looking for a mix of a short safari, adventure sports/activities, and beautiful beach time. I think we'll start in South Africa, so if that's the case --- where & how would you all suggest we spend the time? While I know there are very high end places, our budget will be about $200/night. Thanks...
Apr 5th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Okay, maybe I should ask -- where are the best beaches & blue water in Africa?
Apr 5th, 2006, 03:43 PM

Hello Taia,

Welcome to the Africa board!

Given the range of things you want to do and your budget, I would suggest South Africa between June and September (NOT the end of the year, as it is high season and will be very expensive). For the warmest weather, September is your best bet.

If you travel at this time, you will be able to take advantage of low season pricing, and it happens to be the best time for game-viewing as well. South Africa offers great value for money and your budget will go much further there than in most other countries.

Is your budget $200 per person per night, or per room per night? At $200 per person per night you could travel very comfortably in SA.

In terms of your time, I'd recommend something like the following:

1 week Western Cape (Cape Town, including Table Mountain for hiking and abseiling)
1 week Garden Route (Knysna and Tsitsikamma National Park both have some nice adventure activities)
1 week safari (a few days in Kruger National Park and a few days in a private game reserve)

Some of the best beaches in Africa are in Mozambique, which can be reached overland from the Kruger area -- you could finish off your trip there.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread