Africa Campin tour- How long is too long?

Oct 9th, 2013, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Africa Campin tour- How long is too long?

My husband and I are looking at a camping safari through eastern Africa with on the go.
The tour we are looking at starts in Nairobi and ends at Victoria falls for 27 days.
We have done plenty of travelling before; however we mainly stay in budget hotels.
My question is… how long is too long camping through Africa? I understand that everyone is different and has different tolerances to camping. But we are interested to hear what people have to say.
Also if anyone has some feedback about on the go tours in Africa I will be keen to hear them!
Thanks in advance for your response
Kate
Oct 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Search forum for trip reports by canadian_robin. They have self-drive and camped extensively for safari. Such as this one - http://tinyurl.com/ly98o6j

regards - tom
Oct 9th, 2013, 11:50 PM

That is a long trip. Have you camped and/or traveled for that long a stretch before?
Oct 10th, 2013, 12:11 AM

The longer you are on safari the more you see at a relaxed pace of travel. The general rule is to allow at least 2 nights [3 days] at each safari location, though there are locations where 1 night [2 days] is practical. The minimum suggested length of safari in any African country is at least 7 days. With 27 days you will have a more complete trip.

On the go camping safari (Fly camping) are designed to offer the same high quality wildlife safari experience staying in small basic adventure camps, “real camping” instead of the luxury accommodation. There is the option of Pitching your own tent for the duration of the tour,your driver guide,Cook and masai guides will accompany you.Clients bring their own sleeping bags. The Camps will be located in areas with wealth of wildlife and where you can go on walks with the Maasai guides.

A second option can be the permanent tents that have a private bathroom with a safari shower. With this option the safari camp site will have service staff who do all the work associated with camping.
Oct 10th, 2013, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input so far!

We have travelled for longer than that... however it has always been in hotels etc... never camping for that long...

Tracks burg2013 do you know which company's offer this? It sounds like a easier way to travel.... have to see if it will fit in the budget too....

Thanks
Oct 10th, 2013, 01:53 AM

I hope this won't sound like touting but check out this link https://www.tracksbergtravel.com
Oct 10th, 2013, 09:51 AM

Suggest you provide a link/URL of the actual safari thru East Africa you are considering. We can better determine the routing, where camping and comment or offer options.
Oct 10th, 2013, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
This is a link to the tour we are looking at doing.

http://www.onthegotours.com/Africa/O...ingos-To-Falls

thanks!
Oct 11th, 2013, 08:22 AM

An awful lot of days on the road and as a set group tour, not much you can do to change the number of days at any one area. As example: only 2/days in the Mara in Kenya and 1/day in the Serengeti in Tanzania - both of which easily should be 3/days.

Can't comment on Malawi or Zim/Zam once down that way,

Is this a participatory tour when it comes to setting up tents? what facilities provided? who handles food preparation assuming it's included or do you have to put in money for this?
Oct 11th, 2013, 08:27 AM

.... sorry, submitted too quickly?

How many people on this tour? and what type of vehicle transporting you from area/country onto the next?

The issue I have with similar overland tours is there's way too much included without sufficient time spent anywhere to enjoy and appreciate.

Guess you need replies from others who have done similar itineraries for substantive answers.
Oct 11th, 2013, 10:54 PM

Its quite an interesting itinerary. In my opinion as far as the accommodation goes...
Lake Nakuru the(Kenya wildlife service)camp near the main park entrance is the better option, its within the park.
Lake Naivasha, there are a few camps located not far from each other some with only the basic amenities available but in my opinion Crayfish camp has far much better facilities, i would recommend it, they offer both permanent tents and well kept grounds if you prefer to pitch your own.
Acacia camp in the masai mara is located just outside the border of the reserve,its a semi luxury Tented Camp. Recommended.

Long Safaris can be physically strenuous and mentally taxing. Travelers to Africa are at risk for dehydration while on safari; your body may not be accustomed to the hot sun and dry air of the bush and you may not even realize that you're becoming dehydrated. Drink lots of water.

With Overland safaris everything is done as a community, from pitching tents to setting of the B/L/D table.

Search this Thread