Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   afraid of the cold (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/afraid-of-the-cold-875176/)

fortunate Jan 25th, 2011 05:00 PM

afraid of the cold

Hello! My first post. Trying to do 2-3 days Amboseli or Samburu, followed by 4-5 days Masai Mara. We can only go in June, July or early August. Please don't laugh, but my main concern is the cold! I keep reading about hot water bottles in the beds and how the tents are chilly at night. We do not want to be cold in our room at night! Are there any lodges in Amboseli, Samburu and Masai Mara that have electricity, heat, internet, phone service and maybe even TV to watch in the evenings? Thanks for any help!

Richard_Trillo Jan 26th, 2011 04:05 AM

Fear not, you're really not going to be cold. I doubt whether there is a building anywhere in Kenya that has central heating. Places up in the highlands often have log fires, and occasionally safari lodges have the same, but more as a social focus than a real provider of needed warmth. Late evenings through to an hour after sunrise can be chilly in the Mara region and in Laikipia, and certainly in the mountain parks (Mt Kenya, Aberdare, Mt Elgon), but those hot water bottles in your bed are more of a nice touch that boutique places have cottoned onto, than a climatic necessity! Duvets and blankets are usually more than enough. What's important is that you have one or two layers for late evening and early morning game drives, clothes you can peel off as the sun starts doing its work. As for internet, many lodges and camps offer free or paid-for wifi. Reliable phone links are usually by mobile (cellphone) only. TV? The mass-market lodges will always have a TV or two in public areas, but unless it's major news or a once-in-a-blue-moon sporting event, why would you want to watch it in such an amazing, life-affirming environment?! Just my 2 pence worth!

Richard

atravelynn Jan 26th, 2011 08:40 AM

I am always the coldest person in the group too and have had no problem in any of the months you mention. Those locations are not as cold as some places.

Bring some layers and don't be afraid to wear them in the mornings in the vehicle. You can always peel them off. You might even want a headband to cover your ears. When standing up in a moving vehicle early in the morning, your ears can get cold.

In the room, check for sufficient blankets and ask for another blanket if you think you'll need it.

Let me echo Richard's question of <i>"TV?"</i>

Rather than TV, spend your evenings recounting the day's highlights with others*, write them in your journal so you'll recall your advanture years later, study a bird book, review your photos, or read any Africa-based books you've brought with your or find at the lodge.

You also may want to retire early because you'll likely be heading out early in the morning or you may want to wake in the night and listen for the sounds of the bush.

*The others can be your friends/family you are traveling with, maybe around a bonfire; your vehicle-mates with whom you can share the day's adventures; other guests gathered around the bar/bonfire who can offer tips on what they saw and where; or staff members who can offer a wealth of knowledge just based on their daily lives.

Even traveling alone, I never seek out a television while in the bush.

As to Internet access, you can check in advance if you can use Internet for a fee at various lodges. Even at city hotels, sometimes the Internet just didn't work. I know at Mara Serena, for a small fee, the people that booked balloon safaris allowed others to log on to their computers and use the Internet in the afternoon or evening.

Phone service in the bush is not common. But lots of people bring their own cell phones and buy local phone cards for minutes. I have used the guide's cell phone for an occasional, brief 15 second call home and paid him or bought him a phone card to cover it.

atravelynn Jan 26th, 2011 09:09 AM

...and, if you are checking into Internet access before you go, ask about evening programs. Many lodges have traditional dancing or other educational programs. Mara Serena does night drives. Here is an excerpt from my trip report:

<green>
<u>Mara Serena Night Drive</u>
It was $90-$100 worth of good fun and nocturnal species. I had booked the night drive for my first night at Serena because it was furthest away from a full moon and I have found night drives to be more productive when it is darker. Night #1 was rained out after 20 minutes, so I went the next night and ended up with a private trip. The professionalism and enthusiasm of Paul and Simon (driver and spotter, I forget who drove and who spotted) was equally abundant whether there was a carload of 6 or just me. A ranger joined us as well, providing 3 pairs of trained eyes to pierce the night.

Paul and Simon told me it would be easy to remember their names. I agreed with them and chuckled at the coincidence. I realized my laughter was misplaced when they explained, “You know, Paul and Simon are both from the Bible.” I was thinking more along the lines of “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover” and “Graceland,” which may have been well before these young men’s time. Anyway, they did a great job and mentioned they do the day drives for Serena too.

It is true you do not leave the Serena grounds, but those grounds encompass a large area and any animal that roams the Mara could appear. In our 7:10-8:55 pm outing (which delivers you back just in time for the latest seating of the evening meal) we had nice views of:

Many African Hare
Many Dik dik
1 baby Bat Eared Fox
1 White Tailed Mongoose
1 Spotted Genet
2 Jackals
2 Hyenas

That’s similar to what I’ve seen on some night drives near the wilds of the Zambezi River. We did have very dark, cloudy skies for most of the night, which I believe was helpful.

sandi Jan 26th, 2011 02:19 PM

<i>TV</i>
It's not ever in the thought process when on safari, nor to I care. I'm totally incommunicado for 2-3/weeks and it's nice not to be connected to the outside world when there is so much wonder right there for you to enjoy. No TV, no phone, no Internet... I'm one happy soul!

Depending on where staying you may have down comforters and hot water bottles; elsewhere heavy enough blankets to keep you warm as I've never been uncomfortable sleeping. However, it can shock the body if you have mid-night potty calls, but many camps actually provide bathrobes.

Layers are good for early morning and from dusk on, as details Lynn mentions above. A knit cap, scarf, socks on feet and gloves are small enough to pack and good to have... then remove when the sun peeks over the horizon. Daytime temps should be quite comfy.

No need to worry much about this, just be prepared.

fortunate Jan 26th, 2011 05:11 PM

Richard_Trillo, atravelynn and sandi

Thanks for easing my mind about the cold! I will pack cap, scarf, headband, gloves and a parka! It is funny what different people worry about, I worry about the cold and my husband is worried about being eaten by a lion!! LOL. As for the TV, I wasn't sure what you did in the evenings if there was no night drive! But it sounds as if there will be plenty to do. Again, thanks for responding!

TC Jan 27th, 2011 06:05 AM

Fortunate, What you will do mostly in the evenings is go to bed as the best time for game drives is quite early every morning. Dinners are usually fairly late and after sitting a while with your safari companions to compare notes, you will most likely be falling asleep on your feet. I know I was.

No need to lug along anything nearly so heavy as a parka. I've always been just fine with a tee shirt layered over with a light weight fleece. Others were fine layering on a windbreaker. I usually tie on a bandana that can be used later in the day to hold hair back. I did have some very light weight gloves, but they get cumbersome when trying to photograph.

Enjoy!

atravelynn Jan 27th, 2011 10:09 AM

Agree with TC--layers rather than a parka. Layers are far more versatile.

sandi Jan 27th, 2011 02:29 PM

Sept is "winter" in East Africa, so nights can be darn cold and daytime temps don't always hit the 70s. I've seen plenty of people in parkas, unlike others chilled to the marrow on those early morning game drives in open vehicles.

Now that's not to put OP off, but there's nothing wrong with a parka if it'll keep you comfy. Nowadays these are so light and easy to park, hakuna matata (no problem). Take what will make you happy!

fortunate Jan 27th, 2011 06:20 PM

TC, atravelynn, and sandi

Thanks for the responses! I am definitely one of those who feel the chill but I think I have a better idea of what to expect now and will take appropriate clothing. Most likely, we will go mid-June so I am hoping the winter season will be late!

crosscheck Jan 28th, 2011 10:16 AM

fortunate - It is "chilly," not cold. We live in southern California and, although I grew up in NY, I'm a wimp about cool temperatures. However, we found Kenya to be very pleasant in July, with a very similar climate to winter in LA - in the 70s F during the day and the low 50s at night/dawn. The difference is that we don't drive around in an open jeep to watch the sunrise at home!

As others have said: no parka necessary, you'll be fine with a silk long underwear top, cashmere and two fleeces - one lightweight, one heavier. I never wore all of the above at once, and my sons hardly used their safari "wardrobes" - they wore shorts and tee shirts during the day and sweatpants and hoodies at night. You should also pack smartwool hiking socks and pjs. We found the hot water bottle to be a luxury, not necessity.

If you're really worried, you can bring a gortex shell as well, but I never used mine because our camps provided lined ponchos for the wind.

All in all, much better than extreme heat.

fortunate Jan 28th, 2011 05:58 PM

crosscheck

I think you just saved me alot of money! Instead of buying safari clothes, I will take sweat pants and hoodies! There are plenty of both in this house ( we have sons also ). But, seriously, I will pack layers. And thanks for the tip about the pj's, I would have never thought of that.