Advise on Hotel stay and attractions visit in Casablanca

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two of us plan to arrive Casablanca in Nov 17, need advise whether to stay in Ibis hotel (which of 3 ibis in Casablanca will be advisable) or go for any other option of the same range / type, also which are the best / must visit attractions to visit?! Solicit your advise/tips to make the most of the intended visit.
Thanks.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 07:47 AM

There is only one (and I mean ONLY one) attraction in Casablanca worth seeing but OH, what a one! The Hassan 2 mosque, with its oceanfront setting is an absolute must. Both inside and out. It was my favorite single thing that I saw on my 16 day trip to Morocco in Spring 2016.

As for the rest of Casa, it's an ugly city with nothing else to see. Arrive late in the day to your hotel, see the mosque first thing the next morning (the ticket window opens at 8:50 for a 9:00 entrance), spend a couple of hours at the mosque and then get out of Casa.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 06:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I don't care much for Casa but I wouldn't go quite that far. There are some 1930’s Mauresque (Moroccan Art Deco) facades worth checking out. Otherwise you're better off staying in Rabat.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 02:38 AM

A less-baised view of Casablanca: http://looklex.com/morocco/casablanca.htm

I believe the Ibis at Casa Voyageurs train station is reopening this month and it's conveniently located for transport from and to the airport.

Otherwise use your guidebook (Fodors?) to determine what you would like to see in Casablanca and then choose a conveniently located hotel.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 03:55 AM

Bias: a particular tendency, trend, inclination, feeling, or opinion, especially one that is preconceived or unreasoned

Your opinion of Casa is no more or less biased than mine, or MinnBeef's. We are all equally entitled to our OPINIONS, and since it appears that we have all been to Casa our opinions are not preconceived or unreasoned.

I much preferred Fez to Casa, but it would never occur to me to say that someone who did not care for Fez was biased.
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 06:15 AM

While my trip report entitled "MOROCCO SOLO" is four years old, the single paragraphs near the beginning and near the end may have useful information for you. ZZ
Old Sep 29th, 2017, 07:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to hear the Ibis at Casa Voyageurs is reopening. I'm very fond of that place, and the one at the Fez station as well. Convenient, big rooms, friendly staff and inexpensive (or were).
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 12:32 PM

@thursdaysd: it's not clear who your response above is aimed at, but in case it's me, I didn't actually state an opinion. And it's not my report.

Other than a mention of Hassan Tani's mosque, nobody apart from me has answered the OP's request for information on attractions to visit. Perhaps you can contribute here?

What's not mentioned in the Looklex report is the quality of some of the restaurants, especially on the corniche (coastal strip).
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 01:03 PM

@TimCullis:

You wrote: "A less-baised [sic] view of Casablanca"

I objected to your accusation of bias. Plus it was pretty clear that you were disagreeing with MinnBeef and me. BTW - no difference between "view" and "opinion" in this context.

"nobody apart from me has answered the OP's request for information on attractions to visit"

You didn't read carefully enough.

I wrote: "There are some 1930’s Mauresque (Moroccan Art Deco) facades worth checking out." Plus I recommended Rabat as an alternative.
Old Sep 30th, 2017, 01:18 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
There aren't more recommendations for things to see in Casa because, compared to other cities and many small towns, there's not much to recommend. Not to say it's a bad place, it's a perfectly nice place to live, I have no doubt. Morocco's economy is based to a great extent on tourism but Casablanca's isn't.

On my first visit many years ago to Morocco I stayed for a couple of days in Casa, walked along the sea and visited the medina. I thought the medina very interesting, until I visited those in other places and realized, for a tourist, it's the least of them. I think, unless one is in Casa for business purposes, the best advice one might give is to just move on, to just about anywhere.
Old Oct 4th, 2017, 06:37 AM

Why so defensive, TimCullis?
Old Oct 11th, 2017, 12:21 PM

Because @thursdaysd incorrectly accused me of having an opinion of Casablanca.

Well that *might* be the case, but I certainly didn't state it above.

Unlike you, who wrote, "it's an ugly city with nothing else to see".
Old Oct 12th, 2017, 10:48 AM

It is.
Old Oct 14th, 2017, 08:52 AM

The coastal areas of Morocco were conquered by the Phoenicians, Carthaginians, Romans... blah, blah. These areas were known as the 'land of the treasury' and were under the control of the Sultan.

For me the interesting places are those that were never tamed until the French finally subdued the tribes in the mid 1930s (just possibly within living memory).

It's from those areas that the culture we see today largely comes from, so I would rather visit Azrou in the Middle Atlas or Tafraoute in the Anti Atlas, or the spiral tunnel of Tasgountza near Amelago in the High Atlas, see https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTo...a-Morocco.html

So when people post about visiting Rick's cafe in Casablanca I tend to have a wry smile and pass on by.