Advice re Dubai

Aug 19th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Advice re Dubai

Last year I asked for some ideas on sightseeing for a 2 night stopover in Dubai, and appreciated members advice given.
Well now the trip to London with Emirates is only 4 weeks away, and our 2 night stop over is on our final leg, leaving London & heading home to Oz. We are staying in the Coral Deira Hotel...has anyone stayed there before?. Its one of Emirates special stop over package deals. I have been looking at various guide books, eg. Fodors, Lonely Planet etc and it appears from their maps, that the hotel is in the commercial area of Dubai. (I guess Deira is a suburb of Dubai)
I appreciate reading all the postings & replies regarding Dubai, it has given us plenty of ideas for what to do with only one full day in Dubai.
Lastly, we have been slowly getting various foreign currency, including the Dirham....could anyone advise of what is the going "tip" for the porter on our arrival?
Aug 19th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

One other question, which someone might be able to answer. We will in Dubai during Ramadan, and our hotel is a "dry" or non alcoholic drink hotel for the whole year. I believe, that during Ramadan, no one is allowed to eat/drink/smoke in public during the day, then allowed to eat only at night, is that correct? I was thinking of bringing in a bottle of duty free wine, to have in our room, before going to dinner in a nearby restaurant.
We are non smokers, but would like to enjoy a wine, even if its only in our hotel room.

Search this Thread