Advice on Volunteering in Africa

Jun 29th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Advice on Volunteering in Africa

My husband and I will be travelling in Africa from November until January or Febuary and would like to volunteer at somepoint. It doesn't matter in which country. So far our plans are to fly to Kenya and go from there to Uganda, Ruwanda, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia and South Africa. We would appreciate any suggestions. This is just the beginning of our research. We think we'd like to do volunteer work with children-teaching english or recreational activities. Helping disadvantaged youth in some way.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thank you.
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:23 PM

SusanMac,

I suggest you do a search on this topic on the Africa branch of Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree. It is a *highly* debated topic. While your desire to volunteer is laudable and I admire you for it, there are numerous other issues to consider.

Just for starters: there are many, many people in Africa who are highly skilled and cannot get jobs, work for very little money, etc. Certainly it's more complicated than that, but it's something I would think about.

Best of luck, whatever you decide.
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Whoops, also mean to say that a lot of the people on the Thorn Tree have first-hand experience volunteering in various countries in Africa--not that people on this board can't advise you.
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:44 PM

How much time do you envision devoting to the volunteer activities? It is laudable, but with 7 countries on your itinerary, and a max of 3 months, it is not clear how much time you plan on devoting to volunteer work. Also, will you have your own vehicle/transportation? And will you be able to provide your own housing or accomodations in the area where you are volunteering? Are you willing to pay an organization who can use you as a volunteer (as, for example, Earthwatch and many other short-term programs require)?

Search this Thread