Reload this Page >

Exchange money in U.S. or in Egypt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2000, 03:08 PM
Brenna Catts

I'm going to Egypt in May. What are your experiences with currency exchange from U.S. dollars to Egyptian pounds/piastres? Where should I exchange the money? Also, would it be alright if I brought American quarters and $1 bills to use for tipping? <BR> <BR>BTW, I'm going on Isram World of Travel's Ultimate Egypt tour. Any comments/gotchas regarding that tour or travel group are appreciated.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 02:08 AM
Rosemary

Brenna, $1 bills are good for tipping, but coins usually are not exchangeable <BR>by the recipient for local currency, and probably not appreciated for tipping. Unless things have changed in the past few years. <BR> <BR>Enjoy Egypt. <BR> <BR>Rosemary <BR>

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 02:54 AM
Laura

I currently live in Cairo and almost all merchants accept US dollars for purchases, but I would not suggest tipping in US currency. Most of the poorer people here have limited access to exchanges and can have trouble changing amounts at the banks. (I just had a personal experience where I paid our maid in US dollars and the bank 'harassed' her wanting to know where she received the US money.) My suggestion is keep plenty of pounds and piasters in one place for tipping. <BR> <BR>There are exchanges and banks all over the place. Usually large hotels have exchanges and give a comparable rate. You will usually get about 3.41 to 3.45 depending on where you exchange. <BR> <BR>Hope this helps. I hope you enjoy your trip here, Egypt has many interesting places and happenings.

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 05:28 PM
Bill

Brenna <BR>Take a bunch of bic pens for the kids and hand out instead of money. You can buy a 100-150 for $10.They are great if you intend on going into the markets where there is begging going on. <BR>The major hotels have their own banks and you can exchange US dollars or travellers checks as needed. Ask for small change 1 pound notes for tipping. <BR>Enjoy your trip <BR>Bill

Old Mar 12th, 2000, 10:44 PM
Mike

what tip amounts are expected in egypt? <BR>i've read anyone who performs a simple service for you like holding a door expects a tip. does this mean every time a doorman opens my taxi door i have to tip him and so forth? is there a general rule of thumb for tipping? <BR> <BR>thanks!

Old Apr 5th, 2000, 05:34 PM
Rosemary

Good luck going to Egypt, the diarrhea capital of the world. The cruise on the Nile, which I remembered with many good thoughts, turned out to be a nightmare. This sickness is not to be laughed at. <BR> <BR>Rosemary

Old Apr 6th, 2000, 08:33 AM
Karen

We used local money for tipping. About 50 cents for doorman; about $1.00 per bag for porters; and about 15% for good service is cafes. We used American dollars for purchases in most places. Do take some small items for tips and children as well; Bic pens (Egyptian ones leak badly); hard candies; small, inexpenisve toys. <BR>Enjoy your trip. Don't even think about drinking the water; use bottled water even to brush your teeth. <BR>