Advice on Photo backup system to take on safari

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read favourable reviews of the Epson 2000 for photo backup. Can't find one locally, but wondered about the Archos 40GB Portable Multimedia Player for downloading photos from digital camera. Saw one advertised in Future Shop flyer. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 06:25 PM

I own an Epson P2000 and love it, but can't help you out with any insight on the other one. I just saw the P2000 online this week, I think it was at Henry's (they ship). Searching online will give you lots of choices, and a lot of the stores have free shipping this time of year. It's very handy to have when travelling.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 07:23 PM

For our upcoming trip, I will be using a Sanho Hyperdrive HDSpace (100GB) (www.hyperdrive.com) and my Creative Zen Vision as a secondary backup. I have some friends on an around-the-world trip now using a 100Gb Archos AV500 and they have reported no problems with it. Another choice is the Wolverine Flashpac.
You will see that the units that allow you to actually view the pictures (like the Epson P2000-5000, Creative Zen, Archos AV500) typically also function as media players, and cost a good bit more. The Hyperdrive and Wolverine units do not allow you to review the pictures, and do not play music or videos, but cost a lot less.
I believe the Hyperdrive is the fastest to download pictures, especially if you are using high-speed cards like the Sandisk Extreme III and IV series, and it also has the best battery life that I am aware of. This will be an issue if you are using a high megapixel camera, and especially if you are shooting in RAW mode, as we plan to do for our trip.
Whatever one you end up getting, make sure you will have enough battery capacity, and I would suggest getting a car charger for it in addition to any wall charger.
Chris
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:34 PM

FWIW, there was recent forum discussion on backup storage, although, not much specifically on the Epson 2000 and Archos. The link I think is -
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34909352
regards - tom
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 02:13 PM

Cdnfolks:

I'll second jjmb's opinion. I've had my Epson 2000 for almost a year and have pictures from two Kenyan trips on it and still have plenty of room for my January trip. It is compact and easy to learn how to use and transferring pictures from the Epson to the computer is also easy. I got mine at Ritz Camera so you could probably log onto to their website to print up the information.