Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Advice on luxury accommodations in Camps Bay (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/advice-on-luxury-accommodations-in-camps-bay-919060/)

TJinSOMA Jan 10th, 2012 08:47 PM

Advice on luxury accommodations in Camps Bay

We are preparing for a visit to South Africa and our first stop is Cape Town. We were going to stay at the Westin but it seems like it's just not a good location. We're opting for Camps Bay for some fun dinners and walks but not necessarily pool/beach people.

We're willing to do luxury (any thoughts between the Bay Hotel, Camps Bay Retreat) but I'm a little concerned that they're expensive but not that great. Any thoughts on these properties or other ideas in Camps Bay? We want walkability, but I'm concerned the Bay Hotel is too noisy and can't tell if the others I suggested are close enough to walk.

Any other recommendations in the area? Some of the guest houses look very nice, but we're not big B&B people and I picture sitting in a living room of strangers or worse yet everyone else knows each other and we're the odd man out.

Thanks for the help.

dannu0708 Jan 11th, 2012 06:29 AM

Hi
I am in a unique position to really recommend a superb hotel to you. Seeing that I was the Manager of the Mount Nelson Hotel ( you can google it), I know it extremely well. Its only 10 min. drive from Camps Bay, and you will love it.

capetownfolk Jan 12th, 2012 06:37 AM

Hi
Why not consider renting a villa. If you choose well you will have peace, quiet, your own pools and you will be able to cook your own food and go to restaurants as you wish
CampsBay can be extremely windy and busy depending on what time of year you plan to visit
good lucj
Cape Town Folk

TJinSOMA Jan 12th, 2012 11:50 AM

Thanks for the advice. We opted for the Bay Hotel since walkable to restaurants and they have a pay 2 / stay 3 special. Love the villa idea if we were staying longer, but since only there 3 nights (and get in late the first night) we didn't want to hassle with groceries, etc.

Any thoughts on restaurants? We were thinking La Colombe but frankly Test Kitchen looks more interesting. The other night we were thinking maybe Blues (close by), Savoy Cabbage or 95 Keroom (looks interesting, but there is a lot of good Italian restaurants in the US).

Devey1 Jan 13th, 2012 01:34 AM

I can highly recommend The Kove, very close to Blues but we had a better meal and service at The Kove (Dec. 2011. We also had an outstanding meal at Baia at the V & A Waterfront - more expensive but worth it for the ambience and the views.

theamazingflash Jan 19th, 2012 02:57 AM

Hey there

Bayview Penthouses (www.bayviewpenthouses.co.za) is a wonderful option for luxury Camps Bay accommodation. It's perfectly located, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean and beaches below, luxuriously decorated, and it offers tons of privacy. Worth every penny!