Advice: Night Binoculars for Safari Use

May 11th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Original Poster

Advice: Night Binoculars for Safari Use

I need your advice if it's worth purchasing night binoculars for evening animal viewing? I would appreciate your experience in the pros/cons and purchase recommendations.

I'm looking at spending anywhere from $700-$1000 US Dollars.

Thank you.
May 11th, 2004, 11:40 PM

Jiggylou,

I would advise against it, and I'll tell you why. 99% chance, you are not going to spot anything on your own, but instead everything that you see will be spotted by the tracker with his high powered spotlight. At that point, your night binoculars will probably offer no better viewing than regular binoculars or no better viewing than the naked eye, since you will likely be pretty close to the animals who are spotted.

Save your money and just invest in a very good pair of regular binoculars if you do not already have them. Also, make sure that you have the best camera possible with a nice zoom lens, and, if digital, at least 5.0 megapixel, although it is possible to go up to about 8.0 megapixel without spending more than about $1,250 USD now.

May 12th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Roccco!! Your advice makes a lot of sense. You just saved me some shopping money

Search this Thread