Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Advice from Someone Living in Egypt (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/advice-from-someone-living-in-egypt-877899/)

doug_stallings Feb 14th, 2011 08:51 AM

Advice from Someone Living in Egypt

Over the course of the recent uprising, I've been in contact with several of our writers who contribute to Fodor's Egypt coverage. Here's an email that I received this morning from someone who has been in Cairo during the entire revolution. He's a Canadian journalist who lives in Cairo. I thought I'd just start a new thread since this one may inform questions posted in several similar threads on travel to Egypt. Sorry this is so long.

"I'm sure a lot of Fodor's readers are concerned about travel to Egypt. Thought you might like to know my take, having been here through the entire uprising and, as a journalist, right in the middle of the action. The situation as it stands today (Feb. 13) is that most antiquities sites have reopened, including the Pyramids. The only difference is the almost complete absence of tourists. Hotels and some cruises are operating with skeleton staff, and many flights have been reduced or suspended until traffic returns. Many tours have canceled for insurance purposes.

"Some banks and most forex offices remain closed. ATMs are only, as far as I'm aware, dispensing cash for local accounts. All financial services are expected to resume by next week. There have been infrequent disruptions of rail and city bus services due to ongoing labor disputes.

"The Mogamma Building in Cairo, where tourists can apply for visa extensions, resumed work today. Passport offices in other cities were housed in government buildings destroyed during the protests; alternative venues are now open.

"A curfew exists, currently 12 am - 6 am, but it has never really been enforced. Police presence is slightly diminished, but there is no palpable increase in crime, which was almost zero before the crisis. Sorry, the usual rip-offs and tourist scams in the bazaar still apply - as they have since Napoleon's day.

"It is important to realize that the two security issues that arose during the recent uprising were fully manufactured. President Mubarak had ordered all police off the streets, opened the prisons, and kitted up paid thugs to loot and terrorize people. Its beyond the scope of this brief to explain the politics behind his action, it is now safe to walk the streets at night. The other issue was an attempt by the embattled regime to portray the protesters as being on the payroll of foreign subversives (Israelis, Hamas, Iranians - and bizarrely, often all three in collusion). The uneducated masses, who tend to rely on state media for their news, may have bought into this, but the attacks on journalists and activists were almost entirely perpetrated by paid regime thugs and plainclothes police. I have not come across any genuine resentment among average Egyptians, and have not witnessed any hostility. Nor have I heard of any tourist injured since the uprising began on Jan. 25.

"There are, however, many challenges remaining of concern to travelers considering a visit. The country is now under transitional military rule and the situation is still very fluid. The old regime has yet to be purged, and there is a possibility of a confrontation between the army and regime loyalists. So far, there is no indication this is imminent, but it's best to be aware. Continued protests and labor strikes could also push the military to respond, though so far it has carefully guarded its reputation as a protector of the people.

"Travel advisories are in effect, though currently seem unnecessary. If the situation holds, Egypt could be an unbeatable bargain - deep discounts, no queues at the monuments, more personal experience, and a renewed sense of national pride. Reconsider travel if the security deteriorates sharply in the coming period, or stick to the Red Sea resorts, which are far removed from political currents."

sf7307 Feb 14th, 2011 08:56 AM

Doug, thank you for that -- it's so much more enlightening than what we see on CNN and read in the paper.

Grcxx3 Feb 14th, 2011 09:01 AM

Great information. I have many friends returning this week. I still think it's a little too soon for families, but I understand the need to get the kids back in school, check on pets, get back to "normal" life, etc.

sandi Feb 14th, 2011 09:13 AM

Another thanks.

Yes, it's always better from "on-the-ground" than what we see on TV - CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc or read in printed media.

MissGreen Feb 14th, 2011 12:03 PM

Less crowds... sounds great.

nola77382 Feb 14th, 2011 01:08 PM

Doug, thank you so much for the post. It's great to hear from someone who is actually there. We are scheduled to be in Egypt for two weeks (including 5 days in Cairo) at end of March/early April so fewer crowds definitely sounds great!

BillJ Feb 14th, 2011 02:12 PM

Thank you Doug. Hope your friend gives us another update in a few weeks. Us "Egypt - Wanna - Go's" are craving information.

Marianna Feb 15th, 2011 07:25 AM

Thanks for the information, Doug.

We wanted to go but we have decided to wait and see how things progress. It is truly a personal decision to go or not at this time even with some positive feedback.

We know that our Egypt journey is still part of our plan - just when it happens is the question.

NoFlyZone Feb 15th, 2011 08:52 AM

Just finished booking my wife to head over in early May.

jahlie Feb 15th, 2011 11:28 AM

Thank you so much Doug. I've been combing the web for calm, unbiased and practical information on the current conditions in Egypt, so please thank your friend for the update. My April 2011 trip to Egypt might just be a lot more interesting than I ever thought it could be when I began to plan in April 2010 :)

Iowa_Redhead Feb 16th, 2011 06:53 AM

Thanks for the information!

Now if only I could take a vacation soon. ;)

Marianna Feb 16th, 2011 03:00 PM

What do you think about the news today telling of a brutal attack on reporter, Lara Logan, on Friday?

Casual_Cairo Feb 16th, 2011 04:23 PM

All we are hearing is it was a "brutal attack" but no details. I would like to know more about what, who, when and where.
Anyone know details?

Marianna Feb 17th, 2011 03:21 AM

Google Lara Logan. It was a brutal sexual mob attack on Friday in Tahrir Square. From what I read, a few Egyptian women came to her rescue and stopped the men.

Have you heard about the Ministry of Tourism's Crisis Committee taking charge of handling each and every trip cancellation (thousands of them for February, March and April) and deciding who gets what reimbursement? We were shocked by getting an email concerning this yesterday from our local travel agent who forwarded it from the Egyptian company.

I may post this separately as I really would like to know if others have received this type of email from their tour company.

Bottom line is they are holding our $10,000+ hostage until this Crisis Committeee decides what WE should do.

chris45ny Feb 17th, 2011 04:58 AM

What I read was that it was a sexual assault. She had gotten separated from others in her group. Some locals did rescue her. She is currently in hospital being treated. Her picture shows a blonde, very pretty woman who would probable stand out. However, should be cautious as this info is from the media and sometimes things get exaggerated. I would hope not in any cases like this. If this is true, it's only going to scare more people off from coming to Egypt. It's sad but there's always a few rotten apples in with the good. Wishing her a speedy recovery-both physical and mental.