Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Advice for Mala Mala, Mashatu, Zulu Nyala Tips Sought

Advice for Mala Mala, Mashatu, Zulu Nyala Tips Sought

Aug 26th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Advice for Mala Mala, Mashatu, Zulu Nyala Tips Sought

A life's dream comes true on Sept. 9 when my wife and I depart. Many thanks to all the Africa posters as we've researched and hope we've made some good selections. 17 days, combo of main lodges and "Hemingway tents." Just a few questions of those who have experienced any of the three--hoping the queries don't violate board etiquette in any way.

1) Any specific tips, "watch out's," "or be sure to's..." you'd suggest for any of the three?
2) If you could have changed one thing from your visit to any of these, what would it have been?
3) What surprised you the most (good or bad)?
4) Anything you regrettably left at home or needlessly packed?

Thank you for your asistance.
Aug 26th, 2005, 06:44 PM

I've been to Mashatu (Aug 2002) and MalaMala (Sep 2003). See if Daniel is still at Mashatu. He was a wonderful guide and went out of his way to make sure you got to see all there is to see. Daniel will give most people a new definition of off-roading. His spotter, Solomon, was also a great guy. At MalaMala, I had Tim as a guide but he was "retiring" a few months after I left so I have no suggestions there. I know they have rigorous training for all the guides at MalaMala so I would be surprised if you received anything less than expected.

My regret is that I only stayed at Mashatu 2 nights and should have stayed longer. Loved the tents but the outdoor showers were really cool (as in cold!). Great camp. I stayed at MalaMala for 6 nights and enjoyed every single day.

The only thing that surprised me was at Mashatu, the devastation that the elephants cause to the land (which can happen anywhere there are an abundance of eles). I guess I was also surprised by the hide at the camp. I spent every minute that we weren't on game drives at the hide. Great pics there. It's a two story pit hide so the bottom floor is eye level with the ground. I doubt if I spent 30 minutes a day in my tent at Mashatu. At MalaMala I was surprised at the abundance of the game. Leopards and lions on nearly every game drive, day and night. Elephants are my favorite but I didn't see any large herds there. Just a few here and there. I did see a "less than 24 hour old" baby elephant there which was very cool.

Most of the pictures here
http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa_2003&page=all
were taken at Mashatu.

Someone had asked to see pictures of Mashatu Tent Camp so I posted these
http://www.pbase.com/cjw/mashatu_ten...swana&page=all

Most of the pictures here
http://www.pbase.com/cjw/south_africa_2004&page=all
were taken at MalaMala.

I would love to go back to either camp. I tried to combine Mashatu and MalaMala last year but just didn't have enough time to do them both justice (7 nights in country) so I just went to MalaMala. If I'm not mistaken, a friend of mine stayed at Zulu Nyala and she enjoyed it. (She's in Africa now or I would ask her.) I think you've made some great camp choices and will have a wonderful trip!

Cindy

Search this Thread