Advice for 2 traveling students?

May 3rd, 2000, 07:16 AM
Amy N.

Advice for 2 traveling students?

A friend and I (both women) would like to go on a safari trip after we graduate from college this month. We are both avid photographers and generally just love to travel and soak in new cultures. Neither of us know much about Africa at all. Does anyone have advice on:

Which tour companies are best?
Any wonderful experience in a particular country?
Any travel safety advice?
Any recommended tour route for "beginners?"

Thanks - your answers will be much appreciated!!!

Amy

May 3rd, 2000, 12:53 PM
Ariel

You should check out the Lonely Planet web site's bullet board. Lots of students who have done alot of travel. Not always polite, so do a search first on your topics of interest and a bit of research before posing questions. They know the ins & outs of budget / student travel.

May 4th, 2000, 07:47 AM
Tahiti Bob

For me, the best countries for photo safari are Kenya, Tanzania, South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Zimbabwe. a short overview for each country is given in www.lonelyplanet.com destinations pages.
Zimbabwe is too dangerous now, SA big cities are ridden with crimes, and Kenya is following the same way.
Another thing to consider is the time of year, wild animals are best viewed during thr dry season which depends from country to country.
The cheapest is to book a safari at a local company in Nairobi, or Arusha, ..Wwhat is then difficult is to assess the quality of what you buy in advance.

Personally, I like Tanzania (only safari i did in Africa). Safer and less tourist crowded than Kenya, great parks and reserves (Ngorongoro, Serengeti, ..) and in Zanzibar you can get both the culture (the old stone town, a fascinating mix between black africa and arab world) and the relaxation (quiet beaches near small villages on the east coast).

Search this Thread