Search

injections

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 09:17 AM
marion

injections

want to know what injections are recommended for my trip to Kenya?

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 01:05 PM
Marian

When I went to kenya two years ago, I was advised that this is an individual decision. I was sent to my personal physician, plus a travel clinic, which I used from my county health department. One mandatory shot is for yellow fever, at least two years ago.

Old Apr 18th, 1999, 01:13 AM
Myriam

Marion, <BR>We have had a yellow fever injection (which is valid for 10 years), Hepatitis A (valid for 5 years) and repeat injections for polio and tetanos. <BR>These were NOT obligatory but hightly recommended for people doing a safari. <BR>Obligatory is the malaria prevention (tablets) to start with at least one week before you leave until 4 weeks after you get back. If you take these tablets for the first time, you better start 2 weeks before you leave in order to see if you support the ones the med prescribed for you (I for instance cannot take Lariam - my husband has no problem). <BR>I'm sure you will find a travel clinic in your country where doctors can give you the exact advice.

Old Apr 22nd, 1999, 05:29 AM
Al

Before we went to Kenya and Tanzania two years ago, we checked with our county public health office. They had a complete update on needed and/or recommended shots. They also supplied us with copies of bulletins from the government on how to maintain our good health while traveling there. It all worked -- we're still here!

Old Apr 23rd, 1999, 05:29 AM
Jeff Spirer

The Center for Disease Control has a web site with full information on travel. I think most travel clinics get their information from the CDC, at least the one I used does, and it is a highly reliable source for this information. Go to http://www.cdc.gov/travel/.