actual prices in Turkey??

Sep 17th, 2002, 04:57 AM
Evelyn

actual prices in Turkey??

Hello everybody ...!

In a few days I am visiting Turkey, and now I am wondering how much money should I bring with me..?

How are the actual prices for a bottle of water, Cola, Fanta, ..
to eat out in a restaurant (one person, middle-class), 1 drive with a taxi or a dolmus, a one day-tour by bus or boat, renting a car (one day) ..etc..?

It would be nice to hear from people who have been in Turkey recently, (meaning this year), ..thanks in advance!

Greetings
Evelyn

Sep 17th, 2002, 07:10 PM
Debra

Evelyn
I know you asked for this year but we were in Turkey Aug 2001 and found the place fascinating. Prices for bottled water etc vary a lot. There are children selling them on the street who will come to you, we never bought from them as we wondered about the authenticity of the water. We shopped at little corner convenience shops or supermarkets and they were the cheapest - large bottle US$1. Taxis were very cheap, only one driver was very sleezy! ATM's are everywhere. We took the Globus tour and found that good value for money but they do take you to their 'recommended' shops where you know they are getting a commission for the sales, although the places did have good quality. Don't miss the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul, great experience, very cheap chicken kebab cooked on coals! Food is relatively cheap although watch out for when you order they suggest extra side dishes which all are delicious but the cost goes up a great deal. Weather was very hot.

Sep 26th, 2002, 09:59 AM
Deb

Evelyn,
Turkey was inexpensive for just about everything except for some of the sites in Istanbul which have been raising their prices. The taxi's were around $3 for a 20 minute ride and water was cheap. The day tours I looked at were in Cappadocia and were around $30. You will find much more information on Turkey if you go to the Europe board.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Neil Canavan

Hey there,
I just returned from two weeks in Turkey. Prices I encountered were as follows: Taxi to just about anywhere- no more than 4$, Dinner for two in Sultanamet - 8-12$ (seafood is more), glass of wine .5-2$, one liter water -.8$, waterpipe and tobacco - 2-4$, tea - .3$, hotel 50-75$ (You can negotiate this. The day I left, the Best Western was offering 75$ for a 125$ double, and this is a beautiful hotel), turkish bath (the best! check it out:cemberlitashamami.com.tr) 15$, internet cafe for 30 minutes 1$, roundtrip ferry to Yalova (on the way to Bursa)8$, books at the book bazaar are 20-30% of what you pay at Barnes and Noble, Blue mosque - free, Hagia Sophia - 8$ (the guide was 10$, but well worth it), topaki palace was 35$ for all exhibits (guide was 30$, almost worth it), entry visa to Turkey is 65$, leather jacket (good quality) 100$, local ferry to Harem - .80$, dervish performance - 25$, Hertz rental 50-75$ (negotiable depending on location and time), fresh orange juice - .6$
When you go to local stores you will often be overcharged for everyday items. Always ask price OF ANYTHING before you buy. Any item can be negotiated, and don't be afraid to walk away. Do not take a cab offering a flat rate unless your already familiar with distance. Driver near attractions will take advantage.

And so on. email me if you have questions. Turky is fantastic - I can't say enough about it, and reading these posts before I left made all the difference.

Search this Thread