Search

Activities on Zanzibar

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM
KBD
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Activities on Zanzibar

Group of 4 with 3 nites stay - 2 in Nungwi/1 in Stone Town. Morning snorkeling trip planned for 2 of us. Other 2 could visit a Spice Plantation, but hate to leave out the snorkelers. I think it makes more sense to make the Spice tour a stop for all 4 of us as part of our transport from beach hotel to Stone Town hotel. Have reliable transport that can hold our luggage. How long does the tour itself take? Companies list 3 hours total including transport from hotel (which hotel ???) This stop would take away Stone Town time so I need to know how much time it will eat up - time management is important to us. Is the Spice tour even worth it? Fodor's 2013 The Complete Guide to African Safaris doesn't even mention Spice tours. Jozani forest is in a difficult location - afternoon will likely make the monkeys hard to find - evening visit there would take away precious Stone Town time. Sometimes you can't do everything. I just want to find the best. Advice?
Old Sep 15th, 2013, 11:01 AM

Are you arriving ST and staying overnight to move onto Nungwi next day? Or is ST at the conclusion?

If at the start, you can do the Spice Tour before heading to your resort. If at the end, do the Spice Tour before getting to ST.

Have never done this tour, but the Town Tour is very interesting. However, comments re the Spice Tour I've read have been mixed. Whether 'not interesting' or 'this was great.'

You also have to remember that it is very hot and humid on the island and this can have an impact on whether some enjoyed or not. Best to do any sightseeing first in the morning or late-afternoon... mid-day can be brutal outside of being on the beach, at pool or in the ocean.

Doing any tours, always have water with you, suggest a hat and plenty of sun protection; proper attire if/when in Stone Town itself.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 05:35 AM
KBD
Original Poster

Thanks for your prompt reply. We're headed to the beach straight from the airport. Thought it best to get there directly and go looking at boats and equipment of several snorkeling companies before booking the snorkeling trip for the next morning. I also can't see us stopping for a Spice Tour first since we'll all be interested in seeing where we're spending the first 2 nights. So that leaves us with the option of stopping on the way to our hotel in Stone Town or arranging a round trip from the beach to Spice Tour and back during our stay at the beach for only 2 of us while the snorkelers are away. Sounds like I'm still with same decision. Thanks for the warning about the heat - we're south coast Texans and used to heat and humidity. Mixed reviews for the Spice Tour are better than all bad ones I guess. Hmmm. Zanzibar is known as the Spice Islands, the tour
should be an important cultural experience for tourists.
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 09:40 AM

Stone town tour usually takes from 3 to 3.5 hours the tour takes you through fabled Stone Town and will give you an insight into Zanzibar's vast history and vibrant culture. Its definitely worth a visit.

Other places of interest are:

1. The market, is a great place to visit, People bring their produce here from all over the island, while others come to buy things they can't get in their own villages

2. The Old Dispensary (now known as the Stone Town Cultural Centre) is a grand four story building with a set of decorative balconies. It served as a dispensary during colonial times but fell into disrepair in the 1970's and 1980's.

3.The House of Wonders is a very large square-shaped building. Ceremonial palace for Sultan Barghash

4. The Arab Fort built between 1698 and 1701 by the Busaidi group of Omani Arabs
Old Sep 16th, 2013, 10:33 AM

The reason I mentioned ST first nt is that if arriving from the mainland after safari... it's about 2pm, then about 1/hr to a resort. Your overnight in ST will be less expensive than if out at a resort. Something to consider.

If though arriving ZNZ/ST early in the day, then fine to head to resort first.