Accommodation in Egypt

Oct 13th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Accommodation in Egypt

We will be in Cairo and Luxor in December, and are looking for reasonably priced, clean, centrally located accommodation. We're getting frustrated! I think we're probably set on the Sheraton in Luxor, and either the Intercontinental Semiramis or the Hotel Longchamps in Cairo. We're not crazy about staying in an international chain, but haven't had much luck finding alternatives. Can anyone comment on how important location is in Cairo? Hotel Longchamps is in Zamalek, and it just seems to be an inconvenient location. Is it really?
Oct 13th, 2004, 11:33 AM

I don't really think the location of your Cairo hotel in Zamalek is bad at all. It's in quite a residential area and not crammed with tourists. I heard that it was one of the best places to eat, drink and shop in Cairo.

If you plan to get taxis in Cairo you will find that nothing is too far away. Cairo is quite spread out so picking a location convenient for everything is not possible. Maybe you feel it's inconvenient because you don't have any of the major sites very close.

The hotel is not very close to a Metro stop but I expect most visitors don't use the Metro much wherever they are based. I thought the Metro was great but I was staying in Mohandiseen which is on the west side of the river, further from the centre than your hotel.

Search this Thread