Abu Simbel - Hydrofoil or Fly

Apr 9th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Abu Simbel - Hydrofoil or Fly

Hi

Has anyone travelled on the hydrofoil between Aswan and Abu Simble, or is it more time ? friendly to fly? Hw long does it take and how long did you spend at the site if the option is taken as a day tour from Aswan ?

Thanks
Apr 9th, 2004, 08:11 PM

We flew from Cairo via Aswan to Abu Simbel and took the same plane back to Aswan. Flight from Aswan to Abu Simbel was about 30 minutes and the time we spent in Abu Simbel was around 2 hours. I wish we could had spent more time in Abu Simbel, preferably overnight and perhaps see the light and sound show there.

I didn't even know that there's a hydrofoil service!
Apr 10th, 2004, 05:10 AM
sandi

I didn't know about a hydrofoil either. We flew from Cairo (supposed to be via Aswan, though didn't stop in Aswan as all on plane were going to Abu Simbel) direct to Abu Simbel. Yes, it was amazing and the time spent was about 2 to 2-1/2-hrs, before we caught bus back to airport and flight to Aswan where we boarded our Nile cruise boat.

Apr 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM

I have heard nothing of a hydrofoil - only flights or buses. To be honest - the thought of a hydrofoil on the Nile is not a pleasant one! Even on felucca (sailboat) rides, I try to avoid contact with the Nile water. Although - it's not nearly as bad near Aswan as it is in Cairo!

As for time at the temple - it's easy to do it as a day trip from Aswan. The times mentioned in earlier postings are about right.

I have to admit - I"m not a big "Sound and Light Show" fan - but the one at Abu Simbul was fabulous!!!! If possible, stay overnight in one of the new hotels on Lake Aswan and take advantage of the show. And if you have extra time - take in some fishing on the lake (just watch out for the Nile crocs!!).

Another couple of notes -

The restrooms (WC) within the temple site were awful. We have gone twice and would not let our sons go either time.

There are no food/water stands inside the temple. Get your snacks and water outside before you enter the gated area.

From the main entrance (ticket) gate to the temples and back to the entrace area - there is a sidewalk, but it is steep and bumpy in areas. My husband's uncle had a rolling suitcase with him (to handle his insulin stuff) and it was a bit of a hassle.

Search this Thread