Abu Simbel - alternative transport

Oct 4th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

Abu Simbel - alternative transport

Hi

Can anyone suggest any alternative ways rather than flying to get from Aswan to Abu Simbel, as our flights are waitlisted at the moment.

Can you travel by coach / car tour instead

Also, is is better to book Egyptian domestic flights before travel to Egypt or while we are there - mid NOV ??

Many thanks
Oct 5th, 2004, 10:07 AM

Good question. I'm researching the same thing, trying to avoid the very early morning departure out of Cairo (4:30am--which means being at the airport at 3:30, leaving our hotel in the middle of the night--not interested in that).

My TA informs me that the only way to get space on the plane from Aswan to Abu Simbel is by booking the entire flight segment originating in Cairo. They said that since most fliers from Cairo want to visit Abu, all the seats on the plane get taken up with Cairo passengers.

We'd like to fly to Aswan a day early, explore that area, then fly to Abu the next day and stay there a night, and then leave the following day back to Aswan for our cruise. This is proving very difficult for us as well, as we would be taking a segmented trip instead of one straight from Cairo/Aswan/Abu/Aswan. That seems to be the only way I can figure it out (even for a February trip). I'm waiting now for alternatives from the TA. Not too promising, though.

There are postings here about caravans that leave early mornings and drive to Abu, so you may want to do a search for that.

Good luck, and happy travels!
Oct 6th, 2004, 05:50 AM
rfb

It's been a few years since we went to Abu Simbel but we had no problem getting tickets from Aswan to Abu Simbel and return. The thing to remember about Egypt Air is that their schedules are more advisory than you're probably accustomed to.

If they have a flight that doesn't have enough reservations on to make it profitable, they simply cancel it and rebook you onto other flights. If they have so many requests that they can fill another plane they add.

Something else to be aware of, they have a policy of always taking your money whether space is available or not; since they dont offer refunds you are then required to adapt your schedule to suit them. Keep this in mind when planning trips within Egypt.
Their official policy is to never tell a customer that no seats are available. For this reason, you should always give them a hotel phone number where you can be reached (and check the desk for message, since they will simply rebook you and notify the hotel when you should show up at the airport) and always reconfirm your reservation the day before the flight.

Search this Thread