Search

Giza Light Show

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Giza Light Show

We are trying to finalise our upcoming trip to Egypt this September. As we are in Australia there is only one tour which fits into our time shedule of 6 days - Tempo Holidays (they are Aussie based) however they do not have the Light Show at Giza as part of their itinerary.
Is this worth going to see independently? Where can you book this?
This message board is very very helpful, thank you to all who contribute!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 07:59 PM

You can probably arrange to see the show through the hotel that you'll be staying in Cairo. My family and I really enjoy the shows, we actually went to three shows - Pyramids, Karnak and Philae(our favourite).

Here's the official web site where you can also make reservation: http://www.sound-light.egypt.com/index.asp

Enjoy!
Old May 23rd, 2004, 10:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your reply, I will follow up your recommendation.
If you have any other tips please let me know!!
Old May 24th, 2004, 04:12 AM
sandi

DebM - Tip -

- It gets chilly out in the dessert at night. Wear a jacket, or shawl, long pants if possible.
- The cost provided by your hotel will include that of the Light Show itself and arranged transport to/fr your hotel.

Enjoy your holiday

Old May 25th, 2004, 05:46 AM

Hi DebM,

Went to the Giza Sound & Light show in March 2004 and it is definitely worth seeing. If you can get there a little early, you can get some great pictures of the pyramids at sunset. When we were there, there were 3 shows a night - the one in English was at 6:30pm. It was not very busy so you could probably even just take a cab there and buy your tickets at the door (much cheaper).

The best seats are as far to the front and to the right as you can get, if you are looking at the Sphinx. Some people will try to get you to sit at the tables at the back, saying they are the best seats, but they're not - they just want you to sit there so they can sell you drinks.

Have a great trip! You'll love it!
Old May 25th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies! Great information....... I can't wait to experience Egypt, it has been a life long dream.
I know it will be very special.
Thanks again
Old May 26th, 2004, 10:11 PM

Don't miss the Giza Light Show. Spectacular. We went in 2001 and saw the ones at Giza and at Karnak. If you are taking a Nile cruise, I would suggest you catch the one at Karnak as well. Karnak alone is worth at least 2 trips - one in the daytime and then again in the evening for the Light Show
Old May 27th, 2004, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Freddy - we are going to Karnak as well but not cruising, no time. So maybe we could catch that one as well. Was one better than the other???
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:27 PM

Now that's a very interesting question, and I suspect one can start a huge debate on whether the Pyramids at Giza or the Temple of Amun-Ra at Karnak was the most impressive part of Egypt. The Light Show debate can be subsumed under this larger debate. My wife and I took sides during our trip, which lasts to this day.

I had a slight leaning for the Pyramids due to the sheer grandeur / scale of the effort while she opted for Karnak - only marginally less in terms of scale but with a greater variety of impressions. Statutes, Obelisks, columns, hieroglyphics - Karnak has it all. Both are must-dos on any trip in any case.

I thought the Light Show at Karnak was better (again this is a marginal decision), because you can walk around the temple while the light / sounds moves on, whereas at Giza, you are stationary. Again, Karnak with its variety enhances the dramatic effect of a light show.

One advice I can give you is that when on your Nile cruise, make sure your first Egyptian temple is Karnak. On a typical cruise, you would start off from Luxor and head down to Aswan - enroute your 'temple-visits' include temple of Karnak, Luxor (which is a different temple at Luxor), the temple of Horus at Edfu, Kom Ombo and of course the Philae temple at Aswan. You could drive across the Nubian desert to Abu Simbel from Aswan. Now once you are on your 4th or 5th temple, the senses get a bit satiated (though each temple has its unique features). Which is why I strongly recommend that your first temple should be Karnak - your mind will be blown while it is fresh, so to speak.

I would rank the Philae temple at Aswan, the ride across the desert to Abu Simbel, Abu Simbel itself, the temple of Hatchepsut on the way to the Valley of Kings, and the tombs in the Valley of Kings / Queens as the other major impressions, all slightly below the top 2 - the Pyramids and Karnak, in whichever order.

Hope this helps
Old May 27th, 2004, 08:34 PM

Oops - I didn't realise you had said you weren't going on the cruise. That makes my tip redundant. Never mind - have a great vacation! Egypt will be a lifetime memory, that I can assure you.

By the way, in a 6 day trip if you are not taking a cruise, looks like you are going to split time between Cairo and Luxor. What is your itinerary like - are you planning a day trip to Alex as well?

You could choose to spend only 1 day in Cairo (for the pyramids), fly to Luxor (or even take a night train which leaves around 10 PM and reaches Luxor 8 AM), take a 4 day cruise to Aswan, and fly back to Cairo from Aswan. You would get the cruise, but would miss out on attractions in Cairo (the Museum - Rameses' mummy and Tutankhamum's tomb artefacts), the Khan-el-Khalili etc. Its a toss-up; I would take the cruise and drop Cairo.

Old May 27th, 2004, 08:35 PM

The shows at the Pyramid and Karnak are different style of shows. For the Pyramid show you basically sit down and watch the show about the history of the Pyramids along with all the laser, lights and sound affect. As for the Karnak show you participate by following(walking) the show from location to location before the final sit down presentation. Both are great and you ought to make the time to see both.

Sandi's advice is also very good - be prepare for the cold at night! I don't know how cold it will get during the nights in September but when we went during the new year it was close to zero! Also if you do see the Karnak show bring a small flash light.

Have a good time!
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:52 AM
sandi

If traveling in September, the nights in Cairo will be chilly if you choose the Light & Sound Show here. However, in Luxor which is much warmer and coming out of the brutal Egyptian summer head - the evening will be warm to hot, and maybe even a bit humid at the Karnak Temple Show.

We did not have a need for a jacket or other coverup when on land in Luxor, yet while cruising the Nile, the temps do drop at night.

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:36 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Freddy, Hanuman and Sandi - what great advice!!
We shall make both light shows a real must do. We have some free time so that will work out fine I think. The tips on the weather is good too, just as well we are used to that sort of heat here in Australia.
Old Jun 18th, 2004, 07:03 PM

You've received a lot of great tips and I'll add one additional small one.I visited the Giza light show during the month of September and would advise you to bring mosquito repellent.If you're sitting there on a night with little breeze the little buggers will have a feast of you. Have a wonderful trip !!