Abu Dhabi v. Dubai

Dec 12th, 2002, 09:50 AM
helen

Abu Dhabi v. Dubai

My husband has been contacted about two jobs in the UAE--one in Dubai and the other in Abu Dhabi. The Dubai job pays more but the Abu Dhabi job is more likely (and sounds more interesting). Any comments on the differences between the two places to live? Most of the expat sites I check focus on Dubai, with little on Abu Dhabi. Both jobs provide housing, relocation, medical care, annual leave with airfare to home country, etc. FYI, we are Canadians by birth, but also naturalized Americans.
Thanks!
Helen

Dec 15th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Nick

As a tourist I know only Dubai but I have friends who work in both places. Dubai for an expat social life is likely to be a bit better - more relaxed. Both cities offer alcohol, but Dubai more relaxed about it - drink in the hotels during Ramadan, a time where the Abu Dhabi based people make regular journeys! Definitely more things happening on social calendar in Dubai -rugny tournaments, international horse racing and golf etc. Abu Dhabi is more densely populated so I have been told, so feels a bit more big city like, although lots of high rises going up in Dubai - more hotels than anything else ?

Jan 3rd, 2003, 10:59 AM
usa expat

i;m an american expat living in dubai and without question you want to move to dubai if between the two choices. see the above reasons. i have been here 3 years and thouroughly enjoy it.

Jan 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM
Cara

Huh. I find the two responses above very intriguing. My husband and I moved to Abu Dhabi in July and have enjoyed the city very much. One city is not "better" than the other -- suitability depends on your lifestyle and preferences. There are a lot of things to do in Dubai, but it is a much larger (sprawling) city than AD with "big city" problems such as traffic and increasing crime (still very low by American standards). AD is quiet (not comotose, however), but my friends visiting from Dubai are always struck by how green the city is, well-planned, and great for families (most activities around here are geared toward kids). My husband and I (no kids) enjoy visitng Dubai very much (hour and a half by car) when we're looking for some interesting nightlife or for special events -- concerts, sporting events, etc. -- but it's always nice to come home to peaceful AD. AD is on an island, by the way, so fewer people, less traffic, and cleaner. Many Americans liken the difference to Washington v. New York, for what it's worth. If you like hustle-bustle, head to Dubai, but AD ranks high in my book in terms of "live-ability!"

Search this Thread