Abbey Manor Guesthouse?

Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

Abbey Manor Guesthouse?

Any comments on this guesthouse - both accommodations and it's location (Oranjezicht)? I do not know if this is a good place to stay or if we should aim to be closer to the city or in an area like Camps Bay.

We are traveling to Cape Town in winter (July) and will stay for 3 nights.

We do not want to spend more than $200 per night for a room. We will rent a car while there, but still want to be in a good location as a base. We are one couple (30's) and one single - my mother-in-law (60's) (of course we will be getting 2 rooms!).

We are open to suggestions. Thank you!
Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:14 PM

Hello,

I'm not familar with this guesthouse, but I'd recommend Tamboerskloof or Green Point over Orangjezicht if you want a City Bowl location. Tamboerskloof is a peaceful suburb at the foot of Table Mountain within walking distane of excellent restaurants and local shopping. Green Point/De Waterkant is closer to the water and is a buzzier neighbourhood with excellent restaurants and nightlife.

Camps Bay will be very scenic. but you will need to drive into the City Bowl for meals, entertainment, etc as there isn't much close by.

With your budget, you shouldn't have any problems finding a nice place to stay. I stayed at An African Villa in Tamboerskloof and would highly recommend it. The hosts are very welcoming and the service was excellent. Their sister property, Liberty Lodge, is a lovely place with a colourful history. I'm not sure I'd share the history with my mother-in-law, though -- it used to be a Victorian brothel!

http://www.capetowncity.co.za/

Cheers,
Julian
Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:37 PM

Julian, I am surprised at your comment: "Camps Bay will be very scenic. but you will need to drive into the City Bowl for meals, entertainment, etc as there isn't much close by"

I have researched Camps Bay and found a place that I like. In the verbiage I found this -- "...is ideally located, within an easy four-minute stroll of the Camps Bay promenade and beach, and at last count had 26 restaurants and bars within walking distance."

I don't doubt your comment, but now I doubt what is purported on the rental site Maybe it won't be as well located as I hoped.

Feb 24th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Hello,

I'm not saying that you'll starve in Camps Bay by any means, but in my experience there's a much wider selection of places and types of food in the City Bowl. Camps Bay has some excellent seafood restauarants, however.

Whether the restaurants in Camps Bay will be fine for you and your mother-in-law is very subjective -- it really depends on what sort of food you like and what sort of restaurant atmosphere you prefer. I'm a foodie, and when I'm in South Africa I tend to splurge a bit on food -- why not, when you can eat a five course gourmet meal with wine for under $40?

If you find that the restaurants are fine, you'll still have to drive into the city to see the sights and drive back at night, which might be an issue if you want to enjoy a dinner in town.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread