Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   AA & BritishAir - Luggage question (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/aa-and-britishair-luggage-question-730046/)

Cheweyhead Aug 18th, 2007 08:40 PM

AA & BritishAir - Luggage question

AA - (LAX- LHR) BA (LHR- NBO NBO-LHR)-AA (LHR - LAX)

Does anyone know if we can use a "carry on" with wheels?
Mileage seats inAA & BA's Business class.

Thanks

sels Aug 19th, 2007 04:43 AM

You are only allowed 1 carry on per person-not 1 plus a personal item. The carry on must fit in the container model you see everywhere in airports. I don't think wheels are a problem, just the size of the bag

sandi Aug 19th, 2007 05:03 AM

The OD outside dimensions including wheels and handles have to fit into the sizer... not only the bag itself. So if all fits and the weight is correct, you can then only bring 1/bag thru security at LHR. And, though Business may allow additional carryon, I believe it's still 1/bag thru Security (though you can put a 2nd bag into the 1st then remove once thru Security). London isn't the most pleasant place as a transit point... until they lift this rule which is being considered.

Celia Aug 19th, 2007 06:46 AM

Call both airlines and ask. I suggest this because once I had to relinquish my wheeled carry-on; it wasn't allowed as a carry-on in the upper section of the 747. You don't want to have to start re-packing in the airport.

napamatt Aug 19th, 2007 07:10 AM

It's definitely only one carry on - and fairly small to fit the restrictions at Heathrow. And they are very strict. Your carrier may allow two pieces but BAA wont.

Cheweyhead Aug 19th, 2007 09:48 AM

AA has a 40lb weight limit on carry-ons. Can not find one for BA. It's the camera equipment we are most concerned with. Found a great wheeled camera bag under the alotted size dimensions so it should work.
Thanks for your help.

cary999 Aug 19th, 2007 11:42 PM

FWIW, a 4Olb bag is a LOT of weight for most people. I've managed to drag around a 40lb suitcase for a short while but it is way more than I can manage as a carry-on and toss it overhead bag. (We no longer use it, a hassel to simply get it into the trunk/boot of a car). Of course you may not indeed have 40 lbs worth of camera kit in one bag anyway. My camera bag (actually two bags inside a larger bag) weighs in at 26 lbs and that is plenty heavy enough to carry (with out wheels).

regards - tom

Lynneb Aug 20th, 2007 01:00 AM

BA don't have a weight limit you just have to be able to lift the bag into the overhead locker yourself. You only need to satisfy the BAA (Heathrow) rules regarding size and liquids.
There's no difference whether travelling business or economy.

jaymi Aug 20th, 2007 03:28 AM

Reading the BA website, it indicates if you are making international connections through Heathrow, you get one and only one carry-on.
Does this mean no camera bag, no purse, no "personal item?" Just one bag, period, in contrast to AA which allows one carry-on plus a camera, etc.?
Do they really enforce it at the gate - making you put your camera in your other carry-on? Thanks!

Lynneb Aug 20th, 2007 04:13 AM

Jaymi
Yes, they are strict at heathrow. One carry-on only. You have to be able to squeeze everything into one bag but you can remove it once you are through security.
Leave plenty of time to transfer at heathrow.

betsyatl Aug 20th, 2007 05:28 AM

Yes, 1 carry on when going thru security when transfering in LHR. (Even if you are just transfering, you must still go thru security in LHR). Everything must fit into a single bag, "no nothing extra" and very few exceptions. Also no liquids, there was a huge pile of water bottles, amenity kits, shampoo's ect.. put up against the wall right before security. Once you get thru security, you can un-load and spread out. You should not have an issue at the actual gate.

Cheweyhead Aug 20th, 2007 06:42 AM

Tom,
You are right 40lbs is a lot. But there are two of us with camera equipment. And as you know "L" lenses are heavy! Along with the p-2000, video camera & assorted accessories. Last night, I read about a Samsung 28-432 and almost decided to leave all the canon gear home! :-)