A woman running in Egypt

Jan 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Original Poster

A woman running in Egypt

Planning a trip to Egypt and my favorite way to discover a city is via morning runs - as a woman, with my husband, will this be offensive? Particularly planning to be in Cairo, Luxor, and Sinai. Any advice would be welcome...Thanks!
Jan 7th, 2011, 02:40 AM

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/egy...ing-cairo.html

AM jogger also just stick with hotel fitness areas in Egypt.

safer less offensive to some fundamentalist sensibilities.

Might check your consular advisories for a head's up.

Happy Journey,
Jan 7th, 2011, 06:59 AM

Running is Cairo could be treacherous-sidewalks are in disrepair. A sprained ankle or worse would seriously hamper your enjoyment of the trip. Have a good time but use common sense.

Pat
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:01 AM

OMG! Between the air quality, the traffic, the people, and the uneven pavement - this idea just frightens the daylights out of me!

Here's what I'd do.....PLAN on using the hotel fitness rooms, but if one of your hotels LOOKS like it might offer a reasonable place to run (maybe along the river or a nearby park), then give it a try. Just dress sensibly/modestly (no shorts, no skimpy tops, not even running tights) - loose pants and tshirts. And your husband should also be in pants (not shorts).
Jan 7th, 2011, 07:13 AM

OMG OMG OMG - same thoughts as Grcxx3, vehicle traffic and air besides the uneven ground and so many people... ugh!

Yeh, follow Grcxx3 suggestions, if you absolutely must "run"
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:23 AM

Walking in Cairo is treacherous, let alone running, and I'm referring only to the uneven pavement, tons of rubble, etc. It's just not a good idea.
Jan 7th, 2011, 09:31 AM

Poor jbro23!!! I hope we haven't scared her too badly!
Jan 7th, 2011, 11:39 AM

I remember looking out over the desert thinking that would be a great place for a run. No traffic and running in sand is a real workout. Bring a compass.
Jan 7th, 2011, 12:29 PM

You can't run in the sand in the desert or at least you won't get very far, and it is not wise to go out there by yourself; Two words: 127 Hours.
Jan 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses and link to the expat forum!
Jan 7th, 2011, 06:03 PM

For the record I was kidding about running in the desert. But the suggestion reminds me of the Canadian fella who was charged with attempted murder a few years back for insisting his wife wear a fur coat as she accompanied him into the forest during hunting season. Someone should have told her that wasn't wise.
Jan 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM

Plan your holiday to include a free Friday and go running in the desert with the Cairo Hash House Harriers. www.cairohash.com

It can be done.

If you are staying in Zamalek by chance, or Maadi, I think you would find others out running in the A.M., but yes, dress sensibly.
Jan 8th, 2011, 03:19 AM

Of course you can run!
Not sure when you will be there but there is a race in Luxor in 3 weeks, and one in sharm in March. You could email the contacts here and ask them about running in Cairo:

www.egyptianmarathon.com

Or check here:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/

I found 10 runs in Cairo.

And you certainly can run in the desert. I have run a marathon in the sahara but you must be properly supported, understand how to use a compass, and it is BORING.

My running partner and her husband did an early morning run in Cairo wearing capris and she thought it was the highlight of her trip there. I am not sure the route, but they ended up near gaza.
I have run along the promenade by the Nile in the city, but it wasn't very satisfying. But I had not researched a route beforehand.
Jan 8th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Planned runs/marathons are a whole other thing. And the routes listed above are good, but I would be hesitant to do it if I were not very familiar with the area, unless you had a good GPS. The Digla route shown is not bad - going along some pretty low-traffic streets (for the most part) and a few streets with decent sidewalks.

My husband is a big runner and never dared venture out onto the streets of Maadi. He would run the track at the school and sometimes do organized runs in Wadi Digla - but that was it. There were some people who ran on the streets in Maadi (Digla), but I only ever remember seeing them on Friday mornings when traffic was minimal.

Do-able? Yes
Easy? No
Jan 9th, 2011, 02:58 AM

I never saw anyone running in the city streets, in the country or at hotels during my month in Egypt and Jordan.
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Gaza or Giza? I think Giza.
Jan 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM

its Giza Giza in egypt

Gaza in phalsten
Jan 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM

am from egypt
i live in cairo

you can run any where cuzz egypt are known with there Friendly nature

Just dress sensibly/modestly

young boys maybe hurts you with talks and maybe with actions soo dress sensibly (((no shorts)))