A tour to Egypt - in May or June?

Jan 28th, 1999, 10:07 PM
Nikolai Ya. Serov

A tour to Egypt - in May or June?

Hi all!
My wife and I are planning a visit to Egypt. The goals of it are the historical places of the country. We consider two variants - in the first half of May and in the first half of June. We are interesting about the weather and the number of tourists in this periods - is it very hot even in May there?. Any other information will be very appreciated too.
Thank you in advance,
Nikolai.

Jan 30th, 1999, 07:06 AM
Myriam

Hi Nikolai,
A few years ago we have been to Egypt for a cruise on the Nile from Luxor to Aswan and back in the first half of March. I can tell you that it was already very warm during the day, especially at the historic sites which are all situated in the desert. Usually we left very early in the morning for our visits to be back on the boat at noon.
I checked my travel guide and see that average day temperature in May is 33C, in June 35C. I cannot speak for Cairo because we have not been there but the centre and south of Egypt have a desert climate with very low humidity which is better to support than a humid climate.

When we were there it was overcrowded with tourists. I must say that this was BEFORE the attack at Luxor. I heard on television that in 1998 Egypt had 20% less tourists than in 1997. But there will still be lots of people. Don't let this discourage you because Egypt is really worth a visit.

Jan 30th, 1999, 05:00 PM
Paula

Egypt is a desert country and the further south you go the closer you are to the equator. When you are in Aswan you are only 1500 Km from the equator so it is all relative as to the heat. May is somewhat cooler but still hot and the humidity is high because of the Nile influence.

Because of the Luxor problem the tourist
situation is less of a concern. However, because summer is the time when most people have vacations, there are more tourists then. There are considerably fewer tourists because of the terrorist concern.

The Egyptian government actively guards the prominent ancient monuments but in any situation there is always the incidence of dedication against authority. Given enough will any security will crumble in the face of determination.

Coming from Russia you perhaps can appreciate better the fact that Middle East is a very volitile area. Just use caution as you would at home.

I have 15 years experience in Egypt - e-mail with your concerns.

Search this Thread