a tour for two in December, 1998

Sep 15th, 1998, 06:42 AM
Mel Merzon

a tour for two in December, 1998

My wife and I are going to spend two weeks in Turkey this December. We plan ahead and, after reading all the literature, make up an itinerary which suits are needs. And when our plane lands, we hit the ground running, as it were. Our tastes are very eclectice, but we tire of ruins, cathedrals, statues, and monuments after an hour or two. We enjoy the local cuisine and the local nightlife. We like meeting the people and staying in B & Bs, pensions, and the like. Indeed, we didn't travel these thousands of miles to meet other Americans or eat American food, hear American music,or nod at Americans down the corridor of some 5 star hotel. (I'm proud to be an American, despite the embarrassment caused by some of our imprudent high govt officials, but I'll never learn about, appreciate, or absorb any foreign culture unless I immerse myself in it, even though for a very short period of time.) With this philosophy, my wife and I have visited varoius countries in Europe, South American, Asia, and the Far East. If any of you feel as we do and are familiar with Turkey, may we hear from you.

Sep 17th, 1998, 01:46 AM
Martha

Mel-- Turkey is a great place for independent travelers. We've had two, long trips there, the more recent last May and June. Turkey is, and has been for many years, one of America's staunchest allies. The crime rate is not high, and most Turks are quite friendly toward Americans. (Come to think of it, most Turks are quite friendly, period.) Your biggest danger, by far, would be auto accidents. If you rent a car, drive defensively. Or take the large, inter-city buses.
In December, it will be pretty cold. On the South coast, there are some interesting places, which don't close up entirely outside of the tourist season. Marmaris, which is overrun with tourists all summer, has a small town atmosphere in the winter. Antalya and Fethiye are also real towns, which are open, but quiet, in December. Istanbul and Ankara will be colder, but are cities, which never really shut down. If you get to Konya for the whirling dervish commemoration on Dec. 17, be sure to be sensitive to the fact that this is a religious observance in the eyes of most Turks (even though it's officially secular.)
There is no reason at all, with your attitude, not to have a great time. As the Turks say, Gule gule-- which means go laughing! Martha

Sep 20th, 1998, 06:28 AM
Arizona

E-mail us if you have questions. We have been to Turkey twice, to both eastern and western districts. Like the other post, we found the Turks we met to be most hospitable.

Search this Thread