A short self-drive camping tour of Morocco

Nov 14th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

A short self-drive camping tour of Morocco

Hi folks,

We took a drive through the Atlas mountains this summer during the corn harvest. Our trip took us on narrow, winding pistes through the mountains, down through the Dades Gorge to Ouarzazate and Ait Benhaddou. On we went to Zagora before turning north-west to Taliouine, then up steep mountain passes and down to Marrakesh. Finally, we drove up the coast to Cap Spartel and visited the Caves of Hercules before crossing back over to Spain.

There is a full account with lots of photos on our website:

http://www.wildscope.com/travel-repo...Adventure.html

M & M
Nov 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM

Thank you for your report and photos - it was most enlightening. My husband and I have done many self-drive camping trips in Southern and East Africa, but have not considered Morocco. Perhaps we will reconsider. I will look for Chris Scott's book.

I was surprised to learn that there were so many campsites. Who is using them - besides you ? Is it Europeans who drive south?
CR
Nov 23rd, 2013, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Morocco is certainly worth a visit as it is so varied and there is plenty to explore. However, it is also a haven for migratory North Europeans who flock there in winter, many in campervans, and many of the big campsites earn their living from this winter trade. If you are looking for peace and quiet then the winter motnhs are probably best avoided.
Nov 25th, 2013, 05:50 AM

Good to know - thanks!

Search this Thread