Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   A photographic journal from Tanzania. (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/a-photographic-journal-from-tanzania-581418/)

Matt_from_England Jan 13th, 2006 03:35 PM

A photographic journal from Tanzania.

This time last year I was climbing the slopes of Kilimanjaro and having summited went on to tour the Northern Circuit. Should anyone wish to share my experiences then I have compiled 2 albums online:

http://www.smartgroups.com/pictures/...lbumID=5272073

http://www.smartgroups.com/pictures/...lbumID=5280137

I can post last year's itinerary but it may be a little out of date...

Unfortunately I had not encountered this site until now: I have very much enjoyed reading the safari accounts so far. I hope I can be a part of this most educational forum.

I'll be looking to head back to Tanzania later this year.

Take care,

Matt

sonali74 Jan 13th, 2006 04:07 PM

Hi Matt, Would be interested in a trip report of your sightings. Tanzania is great!!!! Keep us posted when u are going next, Sonali.

aby Jan 14th, 2006 05:46 AM

Hi Matt
ThanX 4 the pics
the red flowers u took (pic no 13 of 84) is Scadoxus multiflorus = Fire Ball Lily (or African Blood Lily)
aby

Matt_from_England Jan 14th, 2006 10:23 AM

Now with a bit of time I thought to post my old itinerary.

Details perhaps a little sketchy after a year but here goes:

Overnight flight Heathrow to Jomo Kenyatta on Air Kenya. Change for Precision Air and fly to Kilimanjaro. (Actually the cheapest option but offered a wonderfully intimate flypast of the mountain.) Arrive guesthouse 10am near Arusha.

Afternoon day 1: Dala dala into Arusha and good few hours there. Jambo Coffee house on Boma road is a good place to stop and recharge!

Day 2: Resting up and preparing for Kili climb. (Choose not to do A.N.P but highly regret this.)

Day 3-9: Kilimanjaro ascent via Machame. No major problems other than aching knees from the descent - I am not fit.

Day 10: Set out for Ngorongoro. (A good place to stop and buy alcoholic supplies is the Shop Rite on Sokaine Road (or perhaps it was old Moshi Road, can't recall) Afternoon game drive in the crater with wonderful close up experiences. Overnight in Simba Public Campsite. Basic but compared to the makeshift camps on Kili luxurious. Elephants in the camp as well as Water Buffalos and Hyena.

Day 11: Morning and lunch in the crater then the drive to Sernegti NP. Wonderful to drive through the massed herds of the migration before the park gates. Afternoon drive in NP - staying at Seronera Public Campsite. No complaints with facilities. Highlight was seeing a cheetah atop a termite mound in the sunset.

Day 12: All day in NP, with the touist stop of Retima hippo pool.

Day 13: Morning drive NP - then to Oldupai Gorge and museum, afternoon relaxing in Mosquito River. Campsite far to modern and luxurious. Much preferred Simba camp at Ngorongoro.

Day 14: Morning cultural tour of Mto Wa Mbu. Afternoon in the Masai market out of town.

Day 15. Lake Manyara N.P driving to Longido in the afternoon. Camped close to the masai village for 2 days of Masai experience. Great camp with fire - sitting up most the night with hust 2 Maasai warriors listening in to the lions close by.

Day 16. Longido - afternoon drive back to Arusha.

Day 17. Day in Arusha - Herbs and Spices restaraunt is a good place for lunch - typical Ethiopian food. (Or at least so they assured me)

Evening flight back to Nairobi and then overnight back to Heathrow.

Prices:

I think we paid in total around 5000 US Dollars for us both, not including spending money out there. (Although at the time entrance fees to Serengeti were 30 USD pp - now up to fifty)

Great climb, great safari and I really go a lot from spending time with the Maasai.

Went with an English company whom I have the utmost praise for. Very personal attention and care for a budget price. I had no intention of staying in lodges so that saved money obviously. January was a great time to go in terms of the Kili climb and seeing the southern leg of the Migration. Different leopards each day in the Serngeti, (or perhaps the same one in 3 different locations each day).

I apologise for the length of this post - hope it didn't bore anyone. I'll post more detailed thoughts of the climb and safari should anyone want.

Take care

Matt

Matt_from_England Jan 14th, 2006 10:27 AM

B.T.W thankyou aby for the details of the flower. Our guides were good with latin names and common titles, it is just my memory that is poor!

bat Jan 14th, 2006 11:34 AM

Matt:
I enjoyed your pictures.

atravelynn Jan 15th, 2006 06:19 AM

Dramatic climbing shots. Something I will experience only through pictures like yours. A cheetah on a termite mound is indeed a highlight. You had some good wildlife sightings along with your climb.

What do you plan to do on your return to Tanzania?

wjsonl Jan 15th, 2006 06:35 AM

Great photos. I've had Tusker and Kilimanjaro beer, but I want to know more about "banana beer". Was it worth drinking, or was it an Imodium causation factor? ;)

Matt_from_England Jan 15th, 2006 08:07 AM

Hi there Atravelynn: Upon my return I'd like to do a quick climb up Meru through the A.N.P, and then look at Tarangire as it would be around the time of August/Sept. Perhaps a little later. As well, having maintained contact with a couple of Maasai I should want a week perhaps with them basing myself at Mto Wa Mbu.

And wjsonl, oh yes many Kili's and Tuskers were consumed in celebration of our success. The banana beer is a thick bitter sweet concoction that is relatively low in alcohol but high in calorie content! It is somewhat similar to drinking English brewed bitter. I liked it alot and it is custom to drink from a long handled ladel passing it between you, very social drinking.

Thankyou for the comments on the photos - actually taken using a combination of Canon A80 digital compact and Nikon FM2n and various lenses. Next time I'll be taking the Nikon and Perhaps a Canon 350D with 300/400 mm tele.

I loved TZ so much. Having been to RSA in the early 90s Tanzania was much more my romantic ideal of Africa. But with a 5 year old daughter I think SA is a better option - in 2007 we'll be looking to take her to Kruger for a self drive safari.

Take care and best regards

Matt

wjsonl Jan 15th, 2006 08:40 AM

"low in alcohol but high in calories"...

Dang, and here I am, like Rocco, trying to lose weight, not gain it! :D