A month in E. Africa - how to spend the time

Oct 11th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

A month in E. Africa - how to spend the time

My husband and I have just purchased tickets into Nairobi Jan. 4th - Feb. 2nd. We are trying to decide how we should spend the time. We were thinking about doing a 7 day safari in both Kenya and Tanzania, a couple days in Nairobi, Arusha, Dar es Salam, and then diving a couple of days in Zanzibar/Pemba.

We are most interested in what people have to say about the safari part. Should we split the 14 days of safari and do 7 in both? If not, where should we spend more time?

Any recommendations for a safari company in Kenya that has decent camping safaris with small groups and good transportation? Anyone heard of Kenia Tours and Safaris? Eastern and Southern is another we're looking into.

For Tanzania I'm somewhat interested in Tropical Trails. Anyone have rave reviews about other camping safari outfitters, preferably with private departures?

Any advice would be appreciated!
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Consider visiting Rwanda or Uganda to do a Gorilla trek. It adds quite a bit of cost but you certainly have the time for it. Rwanda is easiest to just do the trek but Uganda probably has more other attractions to offer. You can see some photos on my website: www.ltaylor.info.

As for doing 14 days of Safari it is a tough call. That is a long time to be getting up early and spending large parts of the day in a car. I would suggest you look into things to break up the time - hiking, spending time in cities or some cultural activities.

I have a friend who went with Kenia for camping, loved the food but the bus didn't have a radio which is abnormal - he got into trouble with the car breaking down and I would also think that having the radio to hear about wildlife is useful even if you prefer doing your own thing.

Lawrence
Oct 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM

Hi puddin,

Check this thread out, maybe it can help you--I think jenjake must have had a great deal of time considering they took busses from place to place.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34688306
Oct 11th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else have recommendations?

Search this Thread