Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

a little South Africa, Zimbabwe and Namibia - leaving in 5 days!

Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I leave in just 5 days for our second trip to southern Africa. We got married while on the first trip on Rovos Rail between Pretoria and Cape Town. So, for our 5th anniversary, we though we'd go back!
We're starting out in the South African Winelands for a few days, staying at the Akademie Guest House, and then to Pretoria, where we'll get back on Rovos Rail for two nights, but this time to Victoria Falls.
After an overnight at the Victoria Falls, we'll be at Somalisa in Hwange National Park, Zimbabwe for 3 nights.
Then on to Namibia! We're doing a self-drive, starting at Windhoek, 2 nights at Wolwedans, 2 nights at Kulala Desert Lodge (we are so excited about seeing the dunes), 2 nights in Swakopmund, and then 3 nights at the Palmwag Desert Rhino Camp. We're going to spend 1 night at Erongo Wilderness Lodge and then 1 night in Windhoek before heading back to Johannesburg.
We've worked with Kirsty at Cardboard Box in Namibia for that portion of our trip, and she's been very helpful, particularly as we had to change things around a few times.
We were fortunate to be able to use miles to get business class tickets the whole way. Newark to Frankfurt on Lufthansa, then South African Airways to Johannesburg. We're coming home via Singapore (yes, we know -- the wrong direction, but we had trouble getting a flight back from JNB using miles, and the US Air agent suggested -- if we had the time, why not come home via Singapore on Singapore Airlines business class, staying in Singapore for a few days). Hopefully, some time in October, we'll be posting our post-trip report!
Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM

Happy anniversary and have a wonderful trip! I'll be interested in hearing how your self-drive trip through Namibia goes. I've always been a bit hesitant to drive on the "other side".
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM

Happy 5th! Have a fantastic time and looking forward to hearing about it.
Sep 4th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Patty and ShayTay, thank you -- we are sooo excited. My husband did the driving the last time -- we did a self-drive on the Garden Route, up to Oudtshoorn, and then to the Winelands. I am very glad he was driving, not me! We're a bit apprehensive about the gravel roads in Namibia, and we decided not to do a 4x4 because of the high cost. But we figure if we could drive in Cape Town, how bad can this be!
Sep 4th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Happy Anniversary and have a great trip. You're going to love Somalisa. If you see Beks or Sophia, (owners of Somalisa) tell them Dennis from Hawaii said hello.
Sep 5th, 2008, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Dennis, We will absolutely pass on your regards. We've been a little concerned about the Zimbabwe part of our trip, given the events over the past few months, but everyone we have talked to assures us that things are fine in Hwange.
Sep 5th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Enjoy your trip.
Got back recently from Zimb. and Somilisa.
If interested check out my trip report Botswana & Zimbabwe.