Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

A list of useful (and not so useful) things you can take to Egypt.

Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I confess I tend to overpack.
I want to bring from home to everything I will need, so while I was preparing my trip to Egypt I made a list of things people in forums recommended to carry.
Some of them I used, some others I didn’t. I think that list may be helpful to some of you :
- A small lantern will be very useful in some of the temples and tombs.
- A pair of small binoculars to see some details on monuments, obelisks or watching birds, animals and people in the Nile.
- Sun protection products. You’ll need them…
-You don’t need pool towels. You’ll find them at the hotels.
-Extra cards or film for your camera and at least one reserve battery. If you are like me you’ll take a lot of pictures and video, so bring more than you think you’ll use.
-A small multiple plug for electricity. You’ll have to charge every night your PDA or telephone, your computer (if you bring it) , and the batteries of your camera. That makes two or three devices . And normally you will only find one plug at the hotels. I found it very useful.
- Ear-plugs if you have light sleep. Useful in the cruise in which the noise of the motor can be a little disturbing.
-Insect repellent. We didn’t have to use it. Very few mosquitoes or other insects; but maybe it can be useful in other times of the year.
-A small first-aid kit. I broke one of my fingers the very first day we arrived to Cairo (my fault) and I found it very useful.
- Some medicin for stomach. We all had slight stomach pains during our trip. We had brought from Spain a remedy called Fortasec (I’s made of Loperamid so it’s similar to Lopex, Imodium, Dimor and Pepto) BUT what really worked for us in Egypt is a local remedy called ANTINAL. You can find it in every pharmacy and it’s very cheap (5 EGP) and effective. We took one tablet at the first symptoms and it worked perfectly (I say it by experience…)
-Humid towels. Very useful to refresh and clean your hands after visits to dusty sites.
-Sandals for pools.
-A hat , better if it’s a straw hat with big wings or a small umbrella to protect from the sun.My daughter said it was not fashionable but it prevents your brains from boiling.
-I brought a small outdoor thermometer just for the fun of seeing which temperatures we reached. At Aswan and at Abu Simbel (and at the sun) it marked more then 50º celsius. So now I can tell my granchildren (whenever I have them) I supported that..
-An extra foldable suitcase for the presents you will buy. Or you can buy a very cheap extra suitcase there. We bought two of them.
-Closed shoes. The sand can be very disgusting if you wear open shoes.
-Small Isothermal bags to put your water bottles. They help to keep it fresh and you really need fresh water constantly there.
-WATER, WATER AND MORE WATER. Well, you don’t need to bring it from home; but be sure you have always a bottle at hand and drink a lot. You can buy it everywhere and it’s cheap (except in the hotels), but be sure the bottle you buy is sealed and that YOU open it.
-Hidratating pills for water. We didn’t use it at all but it’s an idea.
-A pen or pencil with yourself. You’ll have to fill a lot of forms: before you enter Egypt, before you leave it, at all the hotels…..And if you are like me you will like to take notes on what you’re seeing. I took them in my PDA, but having a pen is always useful.
- I made a small plastified card and gave it to my kids. In one side it had a currency convertor between Euro, Dollar and EGP and in the other the address and telephones of all the hotels , of our guide and of the Spanish embassy. It was the size of a credit-card and we found it useful when dealing in shops. You can pay everywhere in Euro or Dollars, except in the official ticket booths in the monuments (only EGP there)
-You can leave tips in any kind of money you have, so bring small bills from home and be sure to have 5 EGP bills at pocket (I changed at the hotel bank the first day).
-Some people suggest to bring colour pencils or other kind of small presents for children. I did not found them useful. They want money , not pencils. If you want to give some thing to them, give them five EGP or a Dollar or a Euro (they know them all and accept them all). But take note that as soon as you give something to one of them, you will be surrounded by some hundreds. Now I have 50 colour pencils at home. I’m going to sell them in E-bay…
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I commited a mistake. I'm going to move this post to the Egypt forum where it was supposed to be.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 11:58 AM

I assume you travel by private plane....

SV
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Funny, Spassvogel..
In fact we were five people (all my family), and we split the things. I did not take everything I've listed, but, well, almost all.
Old Aug 31st, 2009, 04:16 AM

Good list! I have a couple of additions:

- small packets of Kleenex that are always with you in a washroom in case of no toilet paper
- small hand sanitizer (Purell, etc)
- we took an unlocked GSM phone and bought a local SIM card for about $20US including sufficient airtime - found that to be handy