Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   A Lasting Momento? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/a-lasting-momento-668150/)

spsand Jan 7th, 2007 06:18 PM

A Lasting Momento?

I would like to purchase something that is lovely and will always remind me of my trip to Africa...........I know that i cannot take home a baby elephant or giraffe ,(so) it will have to be something inanimate ....I don't mind spending some serious money if it is truly wonderful......any suggestions????

cary999 Jan 7th, 2007 11:35 PM

A new car.
regards - tom

santharamhari Jan 8th, 2007 07:56 AM

There's always great pieces of art you can buy.

You going to South Africa or East Africa?

Hari

Marija Jan 8th, 2007 08:06 AM

We bought an antique (we hope) Maasai buffalo- hide shield and two antique (same hope) lion hunting spears. We've hung them on the wall for ready access should the need ever arise.

atravelynn Jan 8th, 2007 08:14 AM

Spsand,

Something will grab you when you are there. I bought a batik of the first animal I saw--a giraffe. No serious money required.

For wood carvings you may want to buy where you can see the craftsmen at work to avoid machine made items, if such authenticity is important to you. Even then, there is no guarantee. A signed piece increases the odds of authenticity. The concept of any wood carving can be controversial since trees are chopped down for it.

If you let your guide know of your momento wishes early on, he can be of assistance too.

While you cannot buy a baby elephant, you can adopt one at Sheldrick Wildlife Trust.

Tom, a car is not so far fetched. There was a poster a while back who got so enthused about his family safari to Tanzania that he purchased a Land Rover before they ever left home.

Spsand, by Day 2 of your trip you may decide to take the serious money and return to Africa.

afrigalah Jan 8th, 2007 11:56 AM

Over the years, I've brought home a few small mementoes like wood and stone carvings of animals. I don't think anybody really needs inanimate reminders of such memorable times (some don't even need photos)...but they make good talking points.

cary999 Jan 8th, 2007 12:05 PM

Thanks Lynn, see all you who thought I was just being a smarty pants, hope you're sorry.
regards - tom
ps - truth is, I was just being a wise ar$e

Leely Jan 8th, 2007 12:11 PM

We knew, Tom. Cars don't last! I had a Fiat once and, well...

spsand, I'm a terrible "photographer" but next my memories, my photos are my most-loved mementos.

loru100 Jan 8th, 2007 12:14 PM

Our most memorable purchase from our trip to Kenya in '99 was a hand carved walking stick...at the top is a map of Kenya with 1999 engraved on it. I have to admit, though, it was a b*tch to bring back and many times at Heathrow I could've thrown it in the garbage! Glad I didn't!

cary999 Jan 8th, 2007 01:14 PM

Leely, I agree. My photos are my best memories. Several hang on my homes walls, I make a slide show DVD that I give to friends who want to see photos.
regards - tom
ps - let's see now, I want to bring back an antique Maasai lion spear. Do you think if I dress as a Maasai warrior, red blanket, sandals, braided hair (wig), they would let me on the plane with it? A photo opportunity if nothing else :-)

Ericka Jan 8th, 2007 01:18 PM

I have always wanted to bring home a tanzanite. It did not happen on our last trip (Botswana, SA) but our next trip will be to Tanzania and I'm sure I'll find a way this time.

Btw, they are available in many countries - even at the Joburg airport.

afrigalah Jan 8th, 2007 01:35 PM

I wasn't thinking of jewellery or gems when I joined this thread...but now I'm reminded that on our last trip, I bought my wife a small pendant (map of Africa) with a tanzanite stone set in it. She wears it all the time.

John

Toshi Jan 9th, 2007 04:51 PM

In the domestic airport in Nairobi - gift shop on the second floor near the cafe - on the left when you walk in... there's a massai village made of pottery. Comes with a hut, little masai men, animals, fences, acacia trees etc. $140, but the sales lady would only budge 5% and we were completely out of room for souvenirs :( - I refer to it as "the one that got away"

atravelynn Jan 9th, 2007 05:58 PM

Toshi,
Your tale of woe is grounds for planning a return.

eyelaser Jan 9th, 2007 09:04 PM

Quick story of lasting momento from Africa. On my honeymoon in Kenya in 1980 I was lucky enough to trade for a Samburu spear, Massai spear and bow with 3 arrows with locals in the bush. The problem was how to get them home. Well the last 3 days of the honeymoon was to be spent in Italy so I had a folding suit bag. I couldn't get both spears into their 3 pieces so I simply put them into my unfolded suit bag and went through customs and (way pre 9/11) security. I was nervous as hell but all the Kenyan guards were interested in was the few tanzanites, tsavorites and Malay garnite I had purchased for a total of $500. As my new wife couldn't find the receipt we were separated, I taken into a small room with 3 armed guards, frisked and made to empty my pockets. Finally I convinced the guards that I could find the receipt in the hand luggage if given the chance and was allowed to do so to the relief of my wife who thought she was going to be a widow all too soon. The stones are in the vault...too small to really do anything special with but the spears and bow and arrows prominently displayed.
Eric

PredatorBiologist Jan 9th, 2007 10:20 PM

My framed photos are without a doubt my favorite momentos.

I did want to buy a handmade bushmen bag and spear on my last trip but didn't think I'd be able to successfully get it home. I need to figure out how to buy and ship it next time.

My favorite purchase, a large size drum that I am still learning to play. It was a hassle to carry on the plane but I'm very glad I did it.

maria2 Jan 10th, 2007 06:42 AM

Eric:
Your story reminds me of a similar (obviously pre 9/11) experience. I hand-carried a large sword (not concealed) back from London to Florida (through Gatwick and JFK) and just stick it in the overhead bins on the flights. I had one security guy at Gatwick raise his eyebrows a little when I sent it through the metal detector--I gave him some cute puppy-dog eyes and said "oh, that's just a decorative sword I purchased as a gift for my dad"--and he smiled and waived me on through.

BigBud Jan 10th, 2007 06:59 AM

We are probably going to want to buy some items at small markets and villages as we drive west from Tarangire to the central Serengeti. However, we are flying from Seronera back to Zanzibar on a small plane which I assume will have the 33 pound weight limit. Are there any places, other than souvenir shops and the like, between Ngorongoro and the Serengeti from which you can ship fairly large or heavy items (e.g., Maasai paintings, wood carvings, clubs, spears) back to the US? Thanks.